• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to look like a contractor newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to look like a contractor newbie

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...ok_newbie.html

1. Proclaiming that IT contracting with client ‘x’ is no longer for them, and that quitting all computer-related earnings activity for ‘x’ is the only option.
    2. Having a ‘don’t ask-don’t get’ attitude about the headline rate, on day one of the project back at the client workplace.
    3. Forgetting that loose lips (and clever software) sink contracting careers quite often.
    4. Playing hardball when the client/agency/project has a lot on.
    5. Being too insular by not considering the future; their reputation; the bigger picture.
    6. Asking your accountant instead of just asking NLUK via a CUK thread

Any more?

In other words, says the pimp, sit down, shut up and keep earning me money.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
      In other words, says the pimp, sit down, shut up and keep earning me money.
      I missed that!

Maybe we need an article "How to look like an agent newbie".....

Comment

Nice addition by BP for the 6th item

The tone of the original article was quite strong and am surprised it hasn't generated more response from the regulars on this forum.

Overall Natalie Bowers seemed to be saying that we should be eternally grateful for any contract we get, should consider ourselves lucky and not dare to do an Oliver Twist and ask for some more in the form of a rate increase. However, some of her points are valid.

I guess she doesn't mention the oversold, role not as described, we'll increase your rate at the first renewal and other general BS type comments that agencies and clients will sometimes use to get people into a role too.

Usually I am grateful once I've landed a contract, but to almost suggest we should be prepared to roll over for the duration and take what's given to us is a bit much.

Comment

What a load of self-serving twaddle. But Natalies has been in the industry for a while, so it's not altogether surprising. Eventually agents accept the unreality of their worldview as actuality.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            4. Playing hardball when the client/agency/project has a lot on.

Comment

Working...
            X