• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember enjoying Friends?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Why do I get the feeling your old man called you a puff because you weren’t smoking 20 day and shagging birds at age 12, and you’ve harboured this resentment all your life?
    Dunno why you get that feeling cos I was.

Comment

Remember enjoying Friends?

nope, yankee crap, i thought

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        My daughter watched them all last year. Some of them she found very funny, especially during seasons 3-7, some rather outdated and tiresome, But she didn't notice anything particularly racist, sexist, homophobic or transphobic.

Looking that article, the people who are claiming this are people who are rewatching after watching it in their 20s. So not millenial snowflakes, just idiots.

"Chandler was paranoid about being perceived as a gay man or made mean-spirited jokes about his cross-dressing dad"
        "Sexism seeps in when Rachel hires a nanny for her daughter Emma, but Emma’s father Ross can’t handle the fact that the nanny is a man. Ross takes it one step further to being homophobic by asking if he’s gay."

Right... and nowadays no one would be worried about being thought they might be gay. And no one makes jokes about cross dressers (who aren't necessarily transexuals anyway, but let's ignore that cross-dress-phobic point). And nobody's concerned about male child carers. And sitcom characters have to be all entirely non-sexist, racist, transphobic, homophobic (I always disliked the Ross character anyway).

"New audiences claimed that Rachel would have been fired for sexual harassment because she hires an assistant who isn’t qualified for the position because she wants to date him.". It's a sitcom. It's not supposed to be real. Even though it does become soap-like.

"There’s also the controversial relationship between Monica and her father’s best friend who’s 20 years older than her, but it was perceived as even more uncomfortable in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal and #MeToo stories." Well.. That just shows that ageism is alive and well in 2018.

In Big Bang Theory there's casual racism from all characters against Koothrapali, and Sheldon's mum is an out and out religious bigot. How I Met Your Mother had a hugely sexist character in the shape of Barney (and not many dark skinned people in that, even though it's set in New York).

What a load of codswallop. Click bait from the Indie, probably sponsored by Netflix.

I'm off to watch Blazing Saddles to cleanse my mind.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The ongoing liberal left destruction of male identity disgusts me.

Soon we will need underground parties where we can talk about big boobs and loose sexual morals.

This is fine until the tulip hits the fan and we need our men to do bad stuff. That's when we will see the cost of this identity theft.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonymustwearbriefs View Post
            The ongoing liberal left destruction of male identity disgusts me.

Soon we will need underground parties where we can talk about big boobs and loose sexual morals.

This is fine until the tulip hits the fan and we need our men to do bad stuff. That's when we will see the cost of this identity theft.
            Could d000hg handle himself in a row? If someone stood on your toes in the chippie, shouted in your face and took a handful of your chips while your girl watches- what would you do? Call the neighbourhood watch?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonymustwearbriefs View Post
              Could d000hg handle himself in a row? If someone stood on your toes in the chippie, shouted in your face and took a handful of your chips while your girl watches- what would you do? Call the neighbourhood watch?
              Why are you quoting yourself? What you have to say is fairly dull once. Must Tony wear his briefs back to front?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not even sure how it related to anything I said.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I thought this thread was about something else, but you're talking about the TV show.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    I thought this thread was about something else, but you're talking about the TV show.
                    If you want a friend get a dog?

Comment

And yet people watch Mrs Brown's Boys...?

Every single one of us has a level of prejudice inside us, even if we don't do the big ticket prejudices any more, like skin colour, gender or sexuality.

For too long, people were told what to be offended about, and now we have a generation of people offended about absolutely everything.

A local Girl's school has banned referring to females as girls or ladies, because it "reminds them of their gender". It is almost as if we are telling women to actually be ashamed of being women. It is their identity, and over 99.9% of females identify themselves as female.
                      Do not refer to female pupils as 'girls' or 'ladies' because it 'reminds them of their gender', headteachers told

Did I feel a little uneasy when SWMBO saw a male midwife during pregnancy? Yes. Does that really make me a bad person? In the immediate aftermath of the attack at Manchester Arena, did I view 'brown people' carrying rucksacks with a bit more suspicion? Yes.

People will always have some kind of prejudice. It is human nature.
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X