• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The student issue again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The student issue again

Done this topic before I know, but here's some rather under-reported news that only seems to be in local papers:

The research showed that more than half (58%) of graduates in the South East felt they could be in the same position without a degree, while (13%) said their degree was a waste of money.

More than half of the region’s graduates think they could be earning more if they had started working straight from school.

Nationally, the work showed that almost half of all graduates surveyed across the UK (48%) believe they could be earning more if they started working straight from school and (35%) wish they didn’t go to university at all.
    https://www.midsussextimes.co.uk/new...less-1-8329627

Not sure if this "new" research is actually the same as The Mirror carried a few months back but says much the same thing:

A quarter of graduates say they regret going to university and reveal their most pointless subjects - Mirror Online

Anyone still in favour of free higher education for all?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    For the record, I've never been in favour of it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I didn't go and I'm doing OK :/
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        I didn't go and I'm doing OK :/
        Keep telling yourself that, princess.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          ]

It’s universally accepted that free university is a regressive tax on poor people. Middle and upper classes benefit disproportionately from free university.

Except Corbyn is planning on bribing those rich kids for their votes.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Except Corbyn is planning on bribing those rich kids for their votes
            Think it's only rich people who vote Labour. It sure isn't the party for working class British people that it used to be.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Just taking it one day at a time.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I didn't go & I'm doing Mrs Nat & Mrs AssGuru!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  I didn't go...
                  That's always been quite evident.

Comment

Seems those students decrying degrees may be on to something. They could have just paid for an instant degree. Fake it until you make it.

Employers too dumb/lazy to check they are legit anyway so why bother?

'Staggering' trade in fake degrees revealed - BBC News

Axact, which claims to be the "world's largest IT company", operates a network of hundreds of fake online universities run by agents from a Karachi call centre.
                    If they're so large someone here must have had a contract with them, or was that fake (for the CV) too.

According to documents seen by BBC Radio 4's File on Four programme, more than 3,000 fake Axact qualifications were sold to UK-based buyers in 2013 and 2014, including master's degrees, doctorates and PhDs.
                    Tip of the iceberg. I can see a government programme being set up to vet everyone at our own cost, yet it will still operate at a loss and cost the taxpayer billions as they pay out millions to those who run it from their old boys network.

But Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD) chief executive Jayne Rowley said only 20% of UK employers ran proper checks on applicants' qualifications.

And while purchasing a fake diploma was not illegal in the UK, using one to apply for employment constituted fraud by misrepresentation and could result in a 10-year prison sentence.
                    Do you like those odds punk?

Former FBI agent Allen Ezell, who has been investigating Axact since the 1980s
                    Job for life if you're crap at your job.

Action Fraud, the UK's national cybercrime reporting centre, said it did not have the power to close fake Axact websites but instead had to provide evidence to domain registries and registrars, which could take months.
                    Check back in a few months, the sites will still be there.

So why are the BBC reporting on this now when it's one of those issues that has been known about for decades? We've all probably received spam emails offering to sell us bogus qualification docs. Maybe it's about the governments wanting to crack down on internet freedom 'for our own good'.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X