• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Useless contractors thread.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    yea but mainly contractors suffer the same faults, as they mostly joined the business in the same way as permies originally, and to be fair to the contractors (after all I am one) the hiring organisation often has little clue what they really need and the is just throwing out generic job specs slightly modified by clueless manager layer, so the poor contractor often has no clue whether they actually have the correct skills until they have been working there for a while and figure out themselves what really needs doing...
    Indeed - so why not embrace it.

Rather than someone spending days putting together a ridiculously detailed gant chart which is out of date before it is even finished why not just start with a basic - we are trying to achieve these outcomes and then let the team sort it out?

(slightly rhetorical question that but...)

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      Part of the issue is too much emphasis is placed on paper qualifications. You can get an MCSE in 3 weeks if you just memorise the answers from brain dumps - knowing nothing about the topics at hand. Theoretically you can then walk into a fairly well paid permie position if you can sell yourself and get creative with some of your responsibilities and duties in prior roles. These guys spend a couple of years hashing projects together and then go out to be contractors. Paper? Tick. Projects? Tick. YOU'RE HIRED SON! - Because the middle manager who happens to be responsible for IT is actually a beancounter and knows nothing about IT, usually. Certainly in the SMB world anyway. Obviously it's different for larger corps.

The place I'm at right now has an IT manager who is honestly clueless. And as such, his right hand man is also clueless. They spend more time talking about "Daily Fail Roastings" than IT stuff. I had to fix so many niggly problems they didn't even know existed when I first started. Great for me, makes me look good for doing simple stuff... But if they ever went contracting and got a gig then blow me, they'd not add any value at all.

There needs to be more boutique consultancies - but because hardware sales are slowly having the margins more and more squeezed, these small consultancies are gradually being killed off. It's these small businesses that actually tend to allow engineers / techs to expand their technical repotoire and gain real world experience whilst attending vendor run training courses to increase their knowledge.
      When I worked for a big MS partner, a long while ago, and I was closer to nitty gritty tech stuff, a few of us informally did the MS exams, and we concluded that the answers the exams wanted people to give was in fact wrong. I dont know if its still like that, probably, but the MS exams seemed to be more about knowing what they want you to say than having a good grounding and knowing how the correct answers come about from first principals. So we all refused to do them and just took the mickey.

Comment

When I worked for a big MS partner, a long while ago, and I was closer to nitty gritty tech stuff, a few of us informally did the MS exams, and we concluded that the answers the exams wanted people to give was in fact wrong. I dont know if its still like that, probably, but the MS exams seemed to be more about knowing what they want you to say than having a good grounding and knowing how the correct answers come about from first principals. So we all refused to do them and just took the mickey.
        I completely agree with you. I had an interview in the Financial Services sector a few months ago now and the questions the guy asked were almost straight out of an exam book. Nothing about working practices, design best practice, etc. All focused around "What command does this, what are the features available in this utility, etc." without any real context. That style of examination is so outdated; our brains are no longer libraries for storing rafts of information, but more like indexes knowing where to find the data that's relevant and going to be applicable to a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Indeed - so why not embrace it.

Rather than someone spending days putting together a ridiculously detailed gant chart which is out of date before it is even finished why not just start with a basic - we are trying to achieve these outcomes and then let the team sort it out?

(slightly rhetorical question that but...)
          agreed

It also amazes me that the same people who were screwing up projects ten years ago, and were screwing up projects five years ago, are still screwing up projects now, and have been hired on the basis of some latest buzzword they have stuck on their CV and talked BS about for 5 minutes. Meanwhile the more honest people who often fail to put buzzwords on the CV until they really do know them inside out tend to struggle to get hired. Its all nonsense. You see the system is setup to incentivise people to add BS to their CV.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            I completely agree with you. I had an interview in the Financial Services sector a few months ago now and the questions the guy asked were almost straight out of an exam book. Nothing about working practices, design best practice, etc. All focused around "What command does this, what are the features available in this utility, etc." without any real context. That style of examination is so outdated; our brains are no longer libraries for storing rafts of information, but more like indexes knowing where to find the data that's relevant and going to be applicable to a situation.
            yes thats how the Indian outsourcers tend to interview. they ask you questions out of the text book, and want you to have memorised every obscure page of a thousand page book, and parot back the answers EVEN WHEN THE BOOK IS WRONG, and no concept of how you deliver good solutions dipping into reference material as and when needed.

and no concept of how to deliver success to the end customers.

Comment

yes thats how the Indian outsourcers tend to interview. they ask you questions out of the text book, and want you to have memorised every obscure page of a thousand page book, and parot back the answers EVEN WHEN THE BOOK IS WRONG, and no concept of how you deliver good solutions dipping into reference material as and when needed.

and no concept of how to deliver success to the end customers.
              If you ever need a decent infrastructure engineer without any formal certs but a bucket ton of experience, you need to hit me up!

Comment

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X