• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live to work or work to live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Can you not find a 10k car which does exactly the same but has a vauxhall badge and not a bmw one?
    I've heard of cars for 10k but I thought only the homeless bought them, to live in.

Comment

Can you not find a 10k car which does exactly the same but has a vauxhall badge and not a bmw one?
      How did you know it was a BMW I was looking at ? And no.

Comment

No mortgage, nice house, 55, years old, working hard for the next year to make my last pension payment. I'll probably do another couple of years at a slower pace to replace the car, buy a boat etc before I finally call it a day. Could downsize and stop tomorrow if i had to but I like my toys too much and want to collect the set before I quit.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          No mortgage, nice house, 55, years old, working hard for the next year to make my last pension payment. I'll probably do another couple of years at a slower pace to replace the car, buy a boat etc before I finally call it a day. Could downsize and stop tomorrow if i had to but I like my toys too much and want to collect the set before I quit.
          How much is your pension pot?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Just out of interest how long have you been contracting, what do you do, what approx. rates ? I can't seem to save a chunk like that (although have paid off around 60k in debts) but am a long way off. I want to pack in the contracting but could do another 10 years if I could get the same rate I'm on and the hopefully will have a chunk to invest.

Just trying to get an idea of if you've been on £1500 a day for the last 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              How much is your pension pot?
              Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Just out of interest how long have you been contracting, what do you do, what approx. rates ? I can't seem to save a chunk like that (although have paid off around 60k in debts) but am a long way off. I want to pack in the contracting but could do another 10 years if I could get the same rate I'm on and the hopefully will have a chunk to invest.

Just trying to get an idea of if you've been on £1500 a day for the last 30 years.
              Contracting 30 years, 25 in IB. Reasonable pension pot plus will downsize at 75 if still alive or when money runs out.

Started from scratch twice though otherwise I'd have been done by now. Women eh?
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                Yeah here we get to the big "problem": if you work like a dog so you can retire early yeah you're going to have money and time when you're old but no energy/will to do cool stuff (just a silly example...go to surf in mexico or hike here, bike there kind of stuff). On the other hand you can do these things when you're young and have enough money/time (because you're a contractor) but then you'll have to work later on...

Tough choice
                You can be very active in your 60s and even 70s, though possibly only if you were active in your 30s and kept it up!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I've heard of cars for 10k but I thought only the homeless bought them, to live in.
                  Yeah.....

but then all I do is wear out the M56 twice a day - whilst I could pay a lot of money for a car to sit in traffic jams - what is the point.

diesel astra - £30 per year road tax, cheap to insure, could get 55 mpg - get nearer 45 - but that is without trying, 170 horses under the bonnet (oooh yeah!), it's a perfectly nice place to be and is reliable.

and all the money I am saving goes into the pot so when I get to 53 I can retire, buy a sportscar and shag some twenty something dolly bird.

what's not to like?

Comment

Yeah.....

but then all I do is wear out the M56 twice a day - whilst I could pay a lot of money for a car to sit in traffic jams - what is the point.

diesel astra - £30 per year road tax, cheap to insure, could get 55 mpg - get nearer 45 - but that is without trying, 170 horses under the bonnet (oooh yeah!), it's a perfectly nice place to be and is reliable.

and all the money I am saving goes into the pot so when I get to 53 I can retire, buy a sportscar and shag some twenty something dolly bird.

what's not to like?

So you're saving for a cliché.

I wouldn't wait till I was 53 to ditch the astra, buy the sportscar and nail the dolly bird. Why would it be more fun at 53 than it would now?

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                      So you're saving for a cliché.

I wouldn't wait till I was 53 to ditch the astra, buy the sportscar and nail the dolly bird. Why would it be more fun at 53 than it would now?
                      Hmm it was rather tongue in cheek!!

And the missus may have something to say about the dolly bird.

But the point I was trying to make is there is no point getting into debt for something you simply do not need - save the money and retire early and spend it on stuff you can spend the time to enjoy.

Same for holidays - I could spend ten grand being waited on hand and foot for 2 weeks with the kids being looked after by someone else or I can spend 2 grand and have a cracking holiday spending time with the kids - and that time with the kids is golden as they grow up so fast. (although the missus insists we go to Florida every other year which does cost ten grand but we still get to spend time with the kids)

It's just my point of view though - other points of view are perfectly valid.

Comment

Working...
                      X