• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live to work or work to live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    and all the money I am saving goes into the pot so when I get to 53 I can retire, buy a sportscar and shag some twenty something dolly bird.

what's not to like?

The erectile dysfunction you'll have by then?

Then be not coy, but use your time, And, while ye may, go marry.....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Hmm it was rather tongue in cheek!!

And the missus may have something to say about the dolly bird.

But the point I was trying to make is there is no point getting into debt for something you simply do not need - save the money and retire early and spend it on stuff you can spend the time to enjoy.

Same for holidays - I could spend ten grand being waited on hand and foot for 2 weeks with the kids being looked after by someone else or I can spend 2 grand and have a cracking holiday spending time with the kids - and that time with the kids is golden as they grow up so fast. (although the missus insists we go to Florida every other year which does cost ten grand but we still get to spend time with the kids)

It's just my point of view though - other points of view are perfectly valid.
      This is the point I was making earlier. Everyone is different, but I don't see the point in getting in to debt for expensive toys / spending every penny you get. Live well now, but do it sensibly so you can live well for the rest of your life without busting a gut.

I'm sure everyone has stories of people who go to extremes, when I first started contracting my flat mate at the time spent every penny he got, including the VAT, and just paid the VAT out of that months invoice when it was due. Came unstuck when the dot com bubble burst though.

Comment

I've been contracting 20 years, during which time I have owned two cars (Audi A6, 250K miles, BMW 3 series, 220K miles not out). Total capital outlay has been sub-£30K. BMW is still a joy to drive. So there are alternatives to driving Vauxhalls without breaking the bank.

But anyway. I'm mid-fifties, and in my darker moments I see myself working until a vital organ gives out, whereupon I'll have an extravagant facepalm moment and hand the money over to the youngsters.

But...a friend who was in the same game as me retired about four years back and reckons she can live pretty well. She goes on foreign holidays, always seems to have money in her pocket. So I am encouraged by that. It just takes courage to retire, and I'm a scaredy cat.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          You can be very active in your 60s and even 70s, though possibly only if you were active in your 30s and kept it up!
          yeah keep telling yourself that

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
            I've been contracting 20 years, during which time I have owned two cars (Audi A6, 250K miles, BMW 3 series, 220K miles not out). Total capital outlay has been sub-£30K. BMW is still a joy to drive. So there are alternatives to driving Vauxhalls without breaking the bank.

But anyway. I'm mid-fifties, and in my darker moments I see myself working until a vital organ gives out, whereupon I'll have an extravagant facepalm moment and hand the money over to the youngsters.
            I'm going to be you in 10 years. I'm going for the car.

Comment

I’ve just started contracting so if I can carry on for another 15 yrs then I’ll only be working to keep myself busy

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post

But...a friend who was in the same game as me retired about four years back and reckons she can live pretty well. She goes on foreign holidays, always seems to have money in her pocket. So I am encouraged by that. It just takes courage to retire, and I'm a scaredy cat.
                And therein lies the truth... I've been umming and aaahing for about a year about taking early retirement. I can afford to live in reasonable comfort until my DB pension kicks in at 65 and state pension at 67... if i'm broke at 75 and still going then it's a problem for the state...

For some obtuse reason I think I'll continue until March next year when my stamp is fully paid... my years contracted out means I'm behind the curve... but at least I'm not paying NI without adding to my state pension.
                Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Working...
                X