• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live to work or work to live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a kind of a different position.

I've spent that last 10 years paying off all of our debts, except the mortgage, but am approaching 50 with no pension. I guess this should be the time that IO get me head down, start hitting some of those 40k pension contributions, and then start planning the retirement.

Only it's coincided with me getting totally sick of contracting !

Comment

I am 32 years old and single with no dependents.

I have saved £300,000 and continue to contract at 600gbp per diem. I take holidays but limit these whilst in contract to 4 or 5 weeks per year. The longest period of time I have been out of contract is 2 months.

I do not own property and would prefer to buy a home.

After the BREXIT vote I sold all shares. I believe the current bull market to be entirely over valued and expect a crash within the next year. From this base I will then reinvest £100,000.

Money is not everything in life. I see my bank balance and often feel disillusioned that I am unable to jet set around the world for a year or more. Friends in similar positions intimate the same. This could be the fact a single life, when one ages, can be lonely in modern society. Most friends are married with children.

Life can end at any time. Enjoy it whilst you are alive.

Comment

Originally posted by tripoliti View Post
        I am 32 years old and single with no dependents.

I have saved £300,000 and continue to contract at 600gbp per diem. I take holidays but limit these whilst in contract to 4 or 5 weeks per year. The longest period of time I have been out of contract is 2 months.

I do not own property and would prefer to buy a home.

After the BREXIT vote I sold all shares. I believe the current bull market to be entirely over valued and expect a crash within the next year. From this base I will then reinvest £100,000.

Money is not everything in life. I see my bank balance and often feel disillusioned that I am unable to jet set around the world for a year or more. Friends in similar positions intimate the same. This could be the fact a single life, when one ages, can be lonely in modern society. Most friends are married with children.

Life can end at any time. Enjoy it whilst you are alive.
        Why do you still work?

Up t'north you could buy a house for £150k maybe buy a couple of flats also to cover your monthly drinking allowence.

My dream is to work for 4 more years. Take MVL and stop working in IT. Maybe work part time at the local pub

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
          Why do you still work?

Up t'north you could buy a house for £150k maybe buy a couple of flats also to cover your monthly drinking allowence.
          Up north where, for instance?

Comment

Top five regrets of the dying

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
              Sleepy historic market village which has an entry in the doomsday book, 15 pubs and is within 45 minutes drive of both Manchester and Liverpool airport

You can get a decent 2 bed/3bed for 200 k

probably a bit more for a large 3 bed

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                Not that they wished they had more sex?

"I wish that I had let myself be happier.". Happiness is a very false state of mind. Contentment is where it is at.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                  Many places. For instance I live in Sheffield and theres plenty of housing for around the 150k mark in popular areas

Comment

I must admit I've become extremely risk averse nowadays - currently trying to decide whether to buy a £20k car that might involve a 2 year loan of £10k. I have the £17k in the bank I'd need, plus mine as a £3k part-ex.

Can't pull the trigger though as current gig runs out in July. Should I seize the day ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                      I must admit I've become extremely risk averse nowadays - currently trying to decide whether to buy a £20k car that might involve a 2 year loan of £10k. I have the £17k in the bank I'd need, plus mine as a £3k part-ex.

Can't pull the trigger though as current gig runs out in July. Should I seize the day ?
                      Can you not find a 10k car which does exactly the same but has a vauxhall badge and not a bmw one?

Comment

Working...
                      X