• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS study: Globalisation is bad for your health

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PFI has nothing to do with the reliance on 'contractors' disguised as permies*.

* Nurses and doctors coming to the UK to work for a time limited expected stay (hence 'contractor') then going back when the situation no longer suits them. Taking some UK based people with them as they all look for better opportunities and work/living standards. All made easier with globalisation and various schemes by governments around the world to attract suitably skilled people.

Is the pay rate in the NHS comparable to similar positions abroad and if so why are they choosing not to stay? Partly answered in my original post and associated news article.

PFI may be relevant if it has a negative impact on the pay rates and working conditions.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I know a few European nursing professionals who work in the UK...

It's the cost of living here that's the problem, namely, rental/home purchase costs are way too high. Frankly, it's a big problem for the whole population and it's way past time that a British government pricked this ugly bubble. Not a vote winner with Boomers, unfortunately.

Comment

I know plenty of Filippinos who would love to work in the NHS
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          FAO Liarboy, next time you choose to selectively quote, remember that if you include the link, everyone can read the first line of the story that you chose to leave out as it would mean you knew i was right.
          True PFI was the brainchild of the John Major government but it was Blair and Brown who filled their boots with them. Everywhere was getting a shiny new hospital or school and only now are we seeing trusts closing wards because they can't afford their payments. Take parklands school in Liverpool. Annual cost £4m for a building that's now empty (£11k a day) and a contract that doesn't end until 2027 for a school that only £24m to build.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It was Brown when Chancellor who forced most of the PFI deals.

It was little to do with the quality of service, or best contracting approach per deal, it was simply a massive scramble to keep as much debt off the official government national debt figures as possible, since the loans for PFI deals sit on the outsourcers books, and no debt gets added to the government books despite in practice them not really being able to shut those hospitals etc whatever happens.

So he financially manipulated things so the national debt, and deficit, felt as little impact as possible from the things they wanted to buy. (debt and deficit still went up, but not as much as they would have done)

And this is the biggest problem with bringing this all back in house into the public sector, it would push the national debt and deficit figures into areas where we would struggle to borrow money on the world markets... and since our whole economy depends upon us pushing the national debt up a few billion per week we need somewhere prepared to loan us that money.

Until and unless we start pushing the national debt down monthly and actively repaying it then we will always be vulnerable to politicians needed to play games like this.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
              It was Brown when Chancellor who forced most of the PFI deals.
              Indeed it was. That was common knowledge and is the root cause of most of our current problems.

Most people grasped that fact............except for Weasel the Fooking Halfwit!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Indeed it was. That was common knowledge and is the root cause of most of our current problems.
                Right it's the PFI deals, that's why the economy hasn't recovered since the recession.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                  Right it's the PFI deals, that's why the economy hasn't recovered since the recession.
                  Maybe get a grown-up to explain it to you eh?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Maybe get a grown-up to explain it to you eh?

please explain it to me

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                      please explain it to me
                      I would, but I fear it would go so far over your head it would leave a vapour trail.

Sorry...........life's too short. But Google is your friend. Go for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X