• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marketing people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketing people

So I'm doing a little work for a client in the evenings/weekends. Well within schedule and doing a really good job. Wanting to produce something that they can maintain and works really well.

So, the marketing guy emails me and includes my contact at the client, saying it's dragging on now and it's critical blah blah. I don't think this marketing guy has any programming experience, so I'm trying to understand how he knows it's dragging on. Really demotivated me.

Why are marketing people pricks?

Is there some kind of motivational book for marketing people "How to really motivate IT people"?

Have you managed the marketing person's expectations? They are full of poo - have you allowed for that.

Personally I would reply "The original schedule was x months. This is still well on target as there are y months remaining".

Don't forget to tell them how slim and good looking you are. And how you have another gig carrying CUK....

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      So I'm doing a little work for a client in the evenings/weekends. Well within schedule and doing a really good job. Wanting to produce something that they can maintain and works really well.

So, the marketing guy emails me and includes my contact at the client, saying it's dragging on now and it's critical blah blah. I don't think this marketing guy has any programming experience, so I'm trying to understand how he knows it's dragging on. Really demotivated me.

Why are marketing people pricks?

Is there some kind of motivational book for marketing people "How to really motivate IT people"?
      I've worked in a few advertising clientco's and there is a culture of looking down on IT people who are oh so inferior to 'creatives'. I think it has something to do with the fact that they see themselves as being so 'creative' whereas they are just producing sales material and adverts as opposed to real art.

They also tend to shoot first and ask questions later without knowing WTF they are talking about and like to 'blame IT' for any problems that might be hampering their deadlines.

If you have the facts on your side and are delivering well and in good time then why not get him and your client contact on a call to discuss the issues and make him squirm?
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        I've worked in a few advertising clientco's and there is a culture of looking down on IT people who are oh so inferior to 'creatives'. I think it has something to do with the fact that they see themselves as being so 'creative' whereas they are just producing sales material and adverts as opposed to real art.

They also tend to shoot first and ask questions later without knowing WTF they are talking about and like to 'blame IT' for any problems that might be hampering their deadlines.

If you have the facts on your side and are delivering well and in good time then why not get him and your client contact on a call to discuss the issues and make him squirm?
        It's not my main client at the moment, so a short project, split over eve/weekends.

tbh I told him I was working as hard as I could and suggested he find a faster programmer for future work.

I'm not desperate and don't have to put up with people like that but it's annoying. Especially when you are trying to do a good job for them.

Comment

It's not my main client at the moment, so a short project, split over eve/weekends.

tbh I told him I was working as hard as I could and suggested he find a faster programmer for future work.

I'm not desperate and don't have to put up with people like that but it's annoying.
          Why not manage his expectations? Contractors are not just glorified typists - there is a business to be run.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Why not manage his expectations? Contractors are not just glorified typists - there is a business to be run.....
            It's a short project, gave an update and was a couple of days away from finishing. I also produced a development plan for them, outlining the work. I also updated the marketing geezer with when I planned on working on the project.

My guess is he fired off the email to hurry me up without thinking. As Jog On said there is a bit of a culture of this with marketing people.
            Last edited by woohoo; 17 January 2018, 10:04.

Comment

It's a short project, gave an update and was a couple of days away from finishing. I also produced a development plan for them, outlining the work. I also updated the marketing geezer with when I planned on working on the project.

My guess is he fired off the email to hurry me up without thinking. As Jog On said there is a bit of a culture of this with marketing people.
              So fire him an e-mail back asking if he can explain what he means.

Seriously this sounds like the sort of ****** who would sell his grandma for a fiver and spends most of his time under the bosses desk choking pole - treat him with the disdain he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                So fire him an e-mail back asking if he can explain what he means.

Seriously this sounds like the sort of ****** who would sell his grandma for a fiver and spends most of his time under the bosses desk choking pole - treat him with the disdain he deserves.
                It's a good idea and if it was my main client I might have chosen to speak to him. If I was in the same office I would have had a word and explain it.
                But it's a short project and I think suggesting he find a faster programmer probably suits us both.

Comment

It's a good idea and if it was my main client I might have chosen to speak to him. If I was in the same office I would have had a word and explain it.
                  But it's a short project and I think suggesting he find a faster programmer probably suits us both.
                  Yeah sometimes it is nice to walk away - too many people live their life grasping for every penny and assume everyone else does.

Looking at their cash offering with a slight look of bemusement before saying thanks but no thanks can be a treat in itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X