• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jordan Peterson vs Cathy Newman

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jordan Peterson vs Cathy Newman

Has this been discussed yet ? The search box says not. Sorry if I missed it.

From Channel 4 News Tuesday, astounding interview between Cathy Newman and Jordan Peterson, discussing the gender pay gap, "patriarchy", and freedom of speech. This link is the full 29 minutes, but shorter excerpts are all over social media.

Peterson is astonishing. He disposes of every argument raised by Newman while remaining pleasant, polite, and objective. Newman plainly wasn't expecting this. At 22:30 she is completely KO'd, and admits it. On the whole it is a good discussion and both sides remain reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcj...ature=youtu.be

incidentally I am not a fan of Jordan Peterson and had not heard of him before yesterday. Might buy his new book though.

She didn't show herself in the best light.

Comment

she did project a little bit, so kinda of twisted things around. Not sure how prepared she was for this interview. The other thing that annoyed me was that they started talking about his advice for young men, but she made it all about women and the context moved away from men. Which was disappointing.

First I've seen of this guy and I don't know his views/opinions but he does choose his words well and is very specific.
      Last edited by woohoo; 18 January 2018, 20:32.

Comment

Does sound a bit like a nutter though:

Life is suffering.
        Love is the desire to see unnecessary suffering ameliorated.
        Truth is the handmaiden of love.
        Dialogue is the pathway to truth.
        Humility is recognition of personal insufficiency and the willingness to learn.
        To learn is to die voluntarily and be born again, in great ways and small.
        So speech must be untrammeled, so that dialogue can take place.
        So that we can all humbly learn.
        So that truth can serve love.
        So that suffering can be ameliorated.
        So that we can all stumble forward to the Kingdom of God.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Does sound a bit like a nutter though:
          That does sound a bit nuttery.

Comment

I hate to be a journalist. It was no easy interview and the comments thus far seem to support his 'men should grow up' argument.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I hate to be a journalist. It was no easy interview and the comments thus far seem to support his 'men should grow up' argument.
              which comments, you big fat, four eyed specy scootish hag baggis?

Comment

Jordan is great. He has not got everything correct, but he is a lot closer than the main stream media and political elites of the developed world. In that interview you see someone who has read all the research on the relevant areas, who understands the true science, against someone who is just parroting the usual psuedo science drivel and fashions of an arty liberal elite.

Its unusual that full interviews are shown like this, the liberal elite normally edit them to try and show Jordan in a bad light and out of context.

And on the particulars of this specific issue he is completely correct for many more reasons than he had time to list, as I have seen with my own eyes repeatedly.

Comment

Listening now - she keeps putting words into his mouth to try and shame him and he's not having any of it

Her - "So what you're saying is _____"
                  Him - "No what I said was _____"

This is how these types of discussions should go. The whole tactic of labeling and shaming anyone who disagrees with an argument needs to go now.
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    Listening now - she keeps putting words into his mouth to try and shame him and he's not having any of it

Her - "So what you're saying is _____"
                    Him - "No what I said was _____"

This is how these types of discussions should go. The whole tactic of labeling and shaming anyone who disagrees with an argument needs to go now.
                    I've seen her interview Milos whats his name and it was pretty similar. But she had a couple of other women to help shout him down about the pay gap. By the way not a fan of Milos, he makes some good points then comes out with outrageous crap to increase his profile.

We need articulate men to talk about these issues that are not nutter or self serving. I don't know much about this prof guy so can't say if he is self serving or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X