• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hiring employees for my IT Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skag View Post
    He does have a valid visa, but he is changing jobs and he will need sponsorship once it expires. But you're right, if it does expire before he finds a job then he will have to go back home I suppose. I don't know the conditions of the original visa I'm afraid. You mean how long it's valid for?
    Not just an expiry period, but whether it’s tied to a particular employer (sounds like it is) and what he should do once those particulars change. For example, if the visa says that he should leave the U.K. if the employment that is linked to the visa ceases.

To be fair these are probably questions for your friend.

Have you thought about the wording of your role description yet, and which publications and/or agencies you will be posting that on?

Comment

Stek, very helpful as always, thanks for the comprehensive answer. I had no clue about all these, and your comments help me start looking around (got to make a start somewhere!)
      I guess the 2 things that need to be satisfied is whether the role is advertised and no suitable candidate can be found, and that my company can support their costs.
      RMLT is not easy, it's has to be done transparently and you can't just say 'can't find anyone, have to employ this person who need a visa' - you have to go through the exercise properly, otherwise the UKVI will assume pre-selection - another no-no they're always watching for.

Also if the person's T2 has exited or been curtailed, they only have 60 days to find another sponsor, or go home and wait under the 12 month cooling-off period, no really enough time to do everything.

It's all against you, RMLT, no sponsorship licence, small company, someone in lined up for the role already, is it worth it considering you have to pay for a sponsorship licence, manage it (it's not pay and ignore, most firms have a person designated to admin it) and pay the guy £35k a year, with no guarantees?

And will you pay the guys visa fees? Approx £3k including NHS surcharge? What about his dependants?

It's a minefield for a small company, and is certain to set the UKVI spidey senses tingling...

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Not just an expiry period, but whether it’s tied to a particular employer (sounds like it is) and what he should do once those particulars change. For example, if the visa says that he should leave the U.K. if the employment that is linked to the visa ceases.

To be fair these are probably questions for your friend.

Have you thought about the wording of your role description yet, and which publications and/or agencies you will be posting that on?
        Oh right, it seems that there's a lot more than meets the eye then...
        TBH, I only thought to run this past the forum to check what are the underlying matters (such as those you mention, and thanks for that).
        I don't think he's aware of these, or maybe he is, I haven't ask, and wasn't aware anyway. Maybe that's a good starting point.
        As per role description, no I haven't thought, as I was assessing the viability of "whether I can just hire someone who is already here under another visa, and what it would take to hire him". So I'm at the very starting point.

However, a lot of good info to research on, on this thread.

Comment

The rule of thumb here is , applying for a visa to an Indian dude to come over is the last resort after exhausting every other option.

Skag, you done that ?

Your modus operandi seems to be that you chanced upon a dude who is desperate to find another gig, presumably because he is losing his current job, has told you he will work for peanuts just to extend his stay here so he can get his permanent residency. You are seeing $dollar$ signs in your eyes and are thinking this is a great way to make some money off the back of a hapless immigrant.

So tell me this, what is the tech stack you are looking to fill and why do you think nobody in UK is willing to do that role if the role paid adequately ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            The rule of thumb here is , applying for a visa to an Indian dude to come over is the last resort after exhausting every other option.

Skag, you done that ?
            No.

To put it simply: given that I want to slowly start my own consultancy and that I have a friend who is looking for a job, I said, hey, why don't I sort you out with a job, and you can start working for me, therefore making a start of my business somewhere. I'll leave aside all the drama about "despair", "helpless" etc.

I think I got my answer by now. Sponsoring someone from abroad should only happen when talent is not present in the UK. Let me know if it's otherwise.

Comment

No.

To put it simply: given that I want to slowly start my own consultancy and that I have a friend who is looking for a job, I said, hey, why don't I sort you out with a job, and you can start working for me, therefore making a start of my business somewhere. I'll leave aside all the drama about "despair", "helpless" etc.

I think I got my answer by now. Sponsoring someone from abroad should only happen when talent is not present in the UK. Let me know if it's otherwise.
              Yes, that is perfectly correct. The rules are tough for a very good reason.

BTW, starting a consultancy by employing your friends is not a good idea anyway.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The bottom point +100
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Yes, that is perfectly correct. The rules are tough for a very good reason.

BTW, starting a consultancy by employing your friends is not a good idea anyway.
                  That makes sense, I just never happened to look into it in the past.

Why do you not think it's not a good idea? Because we might end up fighting and breaking up both friendship and collaboration?

Comment

Friends and business rarely mix. You've not mentioned anything about actually getting any business. When you run out of money and can't pay him and he runs in to visa problems who is he going to blame?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      ...BTW, starting a consultancy by employing your friends is not a good idea anyway.
                      Far better to employ your enemies.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X