• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the UK still a christian country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mrs BP is talking rubbish. She is merely repeating the lie these men tell to justify the subjugation of women.
    Will you tell her while I cower?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      We should ensure that any who seek to come to the UK embrace our core principles and make sure that all children are brought up to follow them.
      So cricket and warm beer. And shooting cyclists - or is that just Surrey?

Comment

There is a massive experiment going on and we won't be able to tell for decades, perhaps centuries, what the outcome will be.

There is the British multicultural approach -
        we embrace diversity; everyone is welcome; cultural differences make us stronger; you can take time off work to get the prayer mat out; of course you can take time off at Yom Kippur (or you'd sue me for religious intolerance); set up your own faith schools - no problem, here's a grant.

And there is the integrationist approach (think Australia and France) -
        if you want to come to our country, you play by our rules. Your kids go to our schools, not Jewish schools. There is one law here - the rule of law, not Sharia. You will celebrate our feast days. You will learn to speak our language. If you don't like it, then don't come here.

Which one will work best?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So cricket and warm beer. And shooting cyclists
          You'll get my vote.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
            There is a massive experiment going on and we won't be able to tell for decades, perhaps centuries, what the outcome will be.

we embrace diversity; everyone is welcome; cultural differences make us stronger; you can take time off work to get the prayer mat out; of course you can take time off at Yom Kippur (or you'd sue me for religious intolerance); set up your own faith schools - no problem, here's a grant.

if you want to come to our country, you play by our rules. Your kids go to our schools, not Jewish schools. There is one law here - the rule of law, not Sharia. You will celebrate our feast days. You will learn to speak our language. If you don't like it, then don't come here.

The second one.

Mainly because the first one is based on believing in sky fairies and ideals and laws which are about 2000 years out of date.

But that's just my view.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post

Based on my experience, the critical part of getting people to be part of a community is to have 1 education system. Not schools based on religion - or wealth. For people to grow up integrating into a society, both those coming to the country and those already in the country need to have an education system for all, where people of different skin colours, religions, etc sit in the same class room and (you're going to hate this bit) are tolerant and respectful of the differences, while learning about their similarities.

If you can't teach the kids to be together with tolerance and respect, you've got no chance of teaching the adults.

...Or, you can continue to be a snowflake and cry when someone gets a prayer mat out or wishes you a Happy Chanukah because you are so easily offended by anything that isn't exactly the same as you.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Based on my experience, the critical part of getting people to be part of a community is to have 1 education system. Not schools based on religion - or wealth. For people to grow up integrating into a society, both those coming to the country and those already in the country need to have an education system for all, where people of different skin colours, religions, etc sit in the same class room and (you're going to hate this bit) are tolerant and respectful of the differences, while learning about their similarities.

If you can't teach the kids to be together with tolerance and respect, you've got no chance of teaching the adults.

...Or, you can continue to be a snowflake and cry when someone gets a prayer mat out or wishes you a Happy Chanukah because you are so easily offended by anything that isn't exactly the same as you.
                Nonsense. People go to Christian schools all the time and integrate. People go to girl only schools and integrate with wider society.

Religion is being used as way of control in some Muslim communities in our country. Girls/Women are denied opportunities because of religion and control.

Don't make it out to be a western issue that we have to fix by being even more tolerant.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but why does it always take so long in the UK to get buried/cremated? 3-4 weeks seem to be normal. The rest of Europe is usually 3-5 days

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Slightly off topic, but why does it always take so long in the UK to get buried/cremated? 3-4 weeks seem to be normal. The rest of Europe is usually 3-5 days
                    We like to make sure they are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Very good point.

And to add, you need about 5 copies of death certificate at £4 each. No-one will accept a copy. It seems to like like kicking people when they are down.

Even if you hate the person who died, there is a tendency to think of people you miss.

I have already told my wife and children that I don't care what happens after I go. Why should I?

If they should think of me, then try to be contented with life. Its not getting what you want. Its wanting what you have got. Was that Aristotle?

If they HAVE to do something with my body - then body farm for me.....

Comment

Working...
                      X