• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump - the beginning of the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump - the beginning of the end?

US government closing (which ironically will probably help the US economy).

Trump is too divisive. (CUK understatement of the year)

Doesn't this happen quite regularly in the USA, it's not something only Trump has overseen. They just throw out their toys until they get agreement on whose pockets the trillions from the magic money tree are going to line.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

None of the numbers seem to be going down.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Doesn't this happen quite regularly in the USA, it's not something only Trump has overseen. They just throw out their toys until they get agreement on whose pockets the trillions from the magic money tree are going to line.

Not regularly, but occasionally. The last one was 2013. I think the last one with one party holding all offices was back in the late 70s when Carter was president (and it was about abortions).

Comment

Very interesting. Trump is not someone who compromises. If the opposition were to compromise Trump will go round the country jeering and scoffing at the Democrats, and writing insulting tweets.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Very interesting. Trump is not someone who compromises. If the opposition were to compromise Trump will go round the country jeering and scoffing at the Democrats, and writing insulting tweets.

He isn't someone that likes to appear to have compromised, which is different. What, substantively, has changed in US gov't policy over the last year? There's a lot of continuity. There always is. He'll cut a deal, but he'll speak a ton of crap on Twatter before doing so, because he's just that sort of numpty. This time, it's as much the Dems that don't want to appear to have compromised (DACA) as the GOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

I agree. However in previous times there were presidents who were not as divisive.

I hope you are right and it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Not regularly, but occasionally. The last one was 2013. I think the last one with one party holding all offices was back in the late 70s when Carter was president (and it was about abortions).
              The first shutdown was 1980, because Carter's AG in 79 said that when there was a funding gap then government had to shut down.

There's never been a shutdown when the same party controlled House, Senate and White House.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                The first shutdown was 1980, because Carter's AG in 79 said that when there was a funding gap then government had to shut down.

There's never been a shutdown when the same party controlled House, Senate and White House.
                There's an element of semantics to this. Appropriations lapsed several times in the 1970s, some of which resulted in partial shutdowns. Lapses in the late 1970s occurred with one party in office (Dems). Even today, the number of employees/functions that are impacted varies dramatically across government (quite a lot of gov't continues to function). But, yes, from the 80s onwards the impacts were greater.

Comment

Presumably this is the point where when he was a 'business man', he just declared bankruptcy and walked away from it all
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Can anyone explain what all these faded actresses are going on about in LA

I mean sexual terrorism may be a exaggeration

Oh & you're all on the "no fly" list btw

Comment

Working...
                    X