• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top architect insists Scotland - Northern Ireland bridge 'is feasible'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top architect insists Scotland - Northern Ireland bridge 'is feasible'

Celtic connections.. that's what we need. (except for Wales, they're mad).

It has been claimed a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland would create a "Celtic powerhouse".

A week after Boris Johnson proposed a bridge across the English Channel, an architect says the potential link would be a better prospect.

Prof Alan Dunlop thinks the "Celtic bridge" would cost about £15bn, a fraction of the estimate of £120bn for the English Channel bridge.

He said it would boost both economies and help the post-Brexit border issue.

Alan Dunlop is one of the UK's leading architects and a Fellow of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland.

'Investment in the true north'

He told BBC Radio Scotland's John Beattie Show: "It would be a wonderful thing - a connection between Scotland and Ireland.

"We share a lot of history together, similar ideals.

"The business potential is exceptional, the chance of actually really making an investment in what would would be the true north.

"Westminster politicians talk about the northern powerhouse, but they're really only talking about Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield.

"This would be an investment in what would be, I think, the true North."

Mr Dunlop estimated a cost of about £120bn for the English Channel bridge.

Alan Dunlop
    Prof Alan Dunlop sees huge benefits in such a project
    He thinks the "Celtic connection" would cost about £15bn and would prove less difficult to achieve.

He said: "The challenges of it are much less than Boris' idea of building across the English Channel.

"We don't have the weather problems and it is a not as significant or as large a shipping lane.

"The possibilities of it are great.

"It would send out a dramatic marker in aspiration for the country going into the 21st Century."

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson had suggested the channel bridge as it was announced Britain and France were investigating joint infrastructure projects.

The UK foreign secretary reportedly ran the idea past French President Emmanuel Macron at a summit on Thursday.

Downing Street has said there are "no specific plans" for a bridge between the UK and France.

There are two potential routes for a Scotland - Northern Ireland bridge.

'Investment in Scotland'

Mr Dunlop said: "There are two ways it could go. It could go from Portpatrick to Bangor or Larne, but there are significant environmental and geological challenges there.

"We do have incredibly talented architects and engineers in Scotland so I am sure that as a technical challenge it wouldn't be insurmountable.

"The shorter route would be from around Campbeltown, the Mull of Kintyre across to the Antrim coast.

"But getting to Campbeltown from the central belt is very difficult."

The idea is still that - an idea - but Mr Dunlop sees it as a feasible project.

He thinks a bridge could bring solutions to post-Brexit border arrangements and that it would be a good investment for Scotland.

He said; "It would be something we could debate around Brexit.

"Engineering-wise and architecturally this could be an investment in the infrastructure of Scotland and Ireland."

source: Top architect insists Scotland - Northern Ireland bridge 'is feasible' - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Call me back when a top ENGINEER tells it's possible.

Of course it's feasible for an ARCHITECT, all they have to do is draw a pretty picture of it...

Comment

"The shorter route would be from around Campbeltown, the Mull of Kintyre across to the Antrim coast.
      The Mull of Kintyre route is barmy, as it would involve a huge detour round the highlands, more than a hundred miles by the look of it

(unless a couple of shorter bridges were built at Greenock and Ardrishaig, to reach the Mull of Kintyre fairly directly from Glasgow.

And any other crossing looks wider than the Dover Straight
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There was and still is talk of a tunnel from Wales to Ireland

Comment

Will never happen. As the UK objective is to suck the lifeblood into London. Hence HS2....

Comment

I've done Stranraer / Larne in weather that will make you find faith if you hadn't already, be fooked if I am doing that on top of a bridge!
            Last edited by SimonMac; 22 January 2018, 15:39.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              There was and still is talk of a tunnel from Wales to Ireland
              Paradoxically, it might be easier and cheaper to drill through shale and limestone and make a waterproof tunnel than do the same with the gravel and clay under the Channel
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Raise some tax up there and in NI then pay for it?

Seems simple to me.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I've done Stranraer / Larne in weather that will make you find faith if you hadn't already, be fooked if I am doing that on top of a bridge!
                  I thought the same thing, any bridge across the Irish Sea would only be allowed to be open about 2 weeks of the year.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I thought the same thing, any bridge across the Irish Sea would only be allowed to be open about 2 weeks of the year.
                    Imagine if they tried to build a floating bridge....

Comment

Working...
                    X