• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Route to CFO

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Or, heaven forbid, he's a trolling sockie?
    Nah. Just a spammer - I did a little digging. Banned now.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Brianna99z View Post
      I've recently been doing a bit of career related soul searching and I'm hoping to get some third party opinions. When I observe the more experienced people at my job (i.e., sr managers, directors, partners) I don't really see a life that seems fulfilling to me personally. Therefore, I've concluded that higher level public accounting is not the route I would like to follow.

I've observed a fair share of CFOs at small to medium public companies. They all seem to have reasonable work-life balance and get paid pretty well. In addition, the leadership role the position offers really appeals to me. CFO of a small to medium size public company has essentially become my long term goal. I feel that larger company CFOs tend to lack as much life-work balance and it seems they typically come from finance backgrounds. A non-public company CFO position also doesn't sound bad, but I feel that the public company aspect provides a few additional perks (specifically equity compensation). I've been debating what my best course of action would be so I though I would get some reddit opinions. See the specifics of my situation below.

My Resume: * Bachelor of accounting from a state school * Master of accounting from a large well recognized state school * 3 years Big 4 audit experience (2 staff, 1 senior) * 1 year senior accounting advisory experience (e.g., FAAS, CMAAS, AAS) * Ratings have been fairly high compared to my peer group * 6 years reserve military experience * Licensed CPA * Work in a large metropolitan area (top 5 largest US cities)

The CFO at my current client progressed as follows: Asst controller> division controller> director finance/ accounting> Director finance> VP Finance> VP Finance/ CFO> CFO

I think in general it is more common for a CFO to have a finance background, but the above progression proves that it is at least possible with an accounting background.

I am considering a jump to a large F500 (analysts, senior, reporting). The plan would be to find a F500 company provides MBA reimbursement. Then after working for a year or so I would enroll in an executive mba (large/ well recognized).

I feel like this path gives me a chance to see accounting from the industry perspective while simultaneously building the resume for a leadership role. I've always gotten the impression that seeing accounting from the industry side is pretty key and I feel like an executive MBA increases my odds of moving into leadership roles. I'm afraid of becoming boxed into strictly accounting roles if I leave at/after manager. I also do recognize that a full-time MBA from an M7 would obviously carry more weight, but again I'm not looking to be CFO at a large company. I've seen CFOs at these types of company's that don't have any MBA.

If I were to jump to industry and see a halt in career progress then I would plan to return to Big 4 to get the manager title and proceed from there.

Am I overestimating the impact of being boxed into accounting roles if I stay until manager? Am I underestimating the difficulty of moving up in industry? Am I crazy? I don't know I just want some opinions if you kind people wouldn't mind.

tl;dr - I'm a senior in a FAAS practice. I want to be a CFO of a small to medium public company. Give me your opinions on the best route I can take.
      My 24 year old PMO with a few A-levels is on £128K as a contractor do CFO's earn more ?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        My 24 year old PMO with a few A-levels is on £128K as a contractor do CFO's earn more ?
        Isn't that a stupidly inflated figure for the work actually being done though?

Comment

mmmm

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Isn't that a stupidly inflated figure for the work actually being done though?
          Probably, she got me a great latte this morning, what CFO would do that for you??

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            Probably, she got me a great latte this morning, what CFO would do that for you??
            Maybe you'll get the "full body" latte next time....

Comment

Working...
            X