• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart meters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Whichever way you slice and dice it my view is that these items exist more for the benefit of the supplier than the user.
    Seems a fair point. Although does it mean we can go back to the days of getting cheap electricity when nobody else wants it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't see how a smart meter will reduce my energy usage. I'm already very conscious how much I use and how to save.

Comment

Also, these smart meters aren't smart enough to detect when you change suppliers, so you need a new/different one for the new supplier.

The suppliers are pushing these as they have a gov target to meet. When they agree on a standard meter which can be transferred and used by a different supplier than I'd consider it.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
          Also, these smart meters aren't smart enough to detect when you change suppliers, so you need a new/different one for the new supplier.

The suppliers are pushing these as they have a gov target to meet. When they agree on a standard meter which can be transferred and used by a different supplier than I'd consider it.
          This is because Crapita got the contract to provide the backbone infrastructure, and needless to say it doesn't work properly.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            I don't see how a smart meter will reduce my energy usage. I'm already very conscious how much I use and how to save.
            This is exactly what I found.

Its basically confirmed what I already knew - our usage is mainly the dishwasher, washing machine and fridge (Tumble dryer too but we try not to use that)

So short of washing the dished by hand, wearing dirty clothes and buying food daily theres not much we can do..

I have the meter in the office, its hardly ever on but I do like whacking it on every now and then to see what we are up to..

We also get a better readout on the brittish gas web site do we can see usage in half hour increments and its pretty much live, so I can already look at usage from earlier today.

One thing I noticed is that they adjusted my direct debit DOWN when it was fitted but now the web protal is telling me that Im under paying - Might need to give them a call about that one!

Largely its made no difference to our lives.

Comment

you guys are so mis-informed. the FUD re Smart Meters is re: EMF radiation. Some smart meters may emit as high as a wi-fi router. These are carcinogenic levels.

Comment

they are about as secure as NLyUK's knickers.

They allow the supplier to turn the electricity off remotely. They of course deny they will do it.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-an...-remotely.html

They are of course inaccurate
                Smart energy meters giving readings up to six times too high, study finds

If the power companies just wanted to measure power in real time most meters manufactured in the last 20 years are capable of being read electronically they could have designed a box for £50 that would do that and connect to the existing meter. Add £50 for a body to plug it in or £20 for a remote + user install they would be half way through now.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post

The fix is on its way.

See SMETS2 for further details...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Whichever way you slice and dice it my view is that these items exist more for the benefit of the generators & transmission network than the user.
                    FIFY

Comment

Originally posted by ronkeen View Post
                      you guys are so mis-informed. the FUD re Smart Meters is re: EMF radiation. Some smart meters may emit as high as a wi-fi router. These are carcinogenic levels.
                      I'm not not sure if it would be possible to write a single post that's any more incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                      X