• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents old tricks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents old tricks

Ladies and Gents, you will probably mock me for this question but I need feedback because something is driving me mad.

You know the scenario, you apply for a role through Jobserve, the Agent at their leisure rings you back, they talk nicely about your CV and experience and say how well you seem to fit the given skills criteria along with general chit chat about the rates etc.

Now I have had this a few times lately but at the end of the conversation the Agent has dropped in " Oh before I send your CV over do you have a few names I can use to get references ?"

Is this something others are experiencing because it smacks to me of the whole exercise just being an exercise in fishing for names of former Managers, or am I being just too cynical ?

I really would be interested to hear about anybody else's experiences.

Yes, we will mock you. And unmercifully, since not only is this a FAQ, but it's also a sticky thread in one of the other sections of the forum.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OneJag View Post
      Ladies and Gents, you will probably mock me for this question but I need feedback because something is driving me mad.
      Your doctors can give you anti virals for that rash - lord knows we've all been there, Brillo will probably be along shortly to advise.

On a serious note; you want the "I just need two references" thread in Business.

Comment

Syphilis?

Comment

Several days of reading pleasure here: https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...eferences.html

Comment

In short, yes it is just being an exercise in fishing for names of former Managers.

Comment

Clap

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Syphilis?
              As far as I'm aware I have no STD's

Comment

Appy Polly Loggies

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Yes, we will mock you. And unmercifully, since not only is this a FAQ, but it's also a sticky thread in one of the other sections of the forum.
                Appy Polly Loggies, I have seen the thread that has been mentioned which answered my own question perfectly and has given me some peace of mind.

Comment

Appy Polly Loggies, I have seen the thread that has been mentioned which answered my own question perfectly and has given me some peace of mind.
                  No need to apologise.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just give your previous agent and fish them as well, i.e. have a chat about the market.

Agents are not gargoyles you can give them some non confidential stuff generally about how you're finding things and he'll probably open up from his end as well. Certainly shouldn't give managers names, you can simply fob them off with the name and address of your previous agent or as a permie the address of your previous company and ask them to contact HR.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X