• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winding down the last week of my first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    you are living hand to mouth if you can't afford 5 days off. What happens if you get ill?
    I know you're not I did get ill, also had to be next of kin for a death in my family, so arranging the funeral, sorting out all the admin side of things etc a month before that. I've lost out on a lot of billable time in the last three months which has meant it's taken a hit.

I don't have another contract lined up after this one and whilst I do have a couple of months of reserves, I'd rather not deliberately take 5 days off where I could be billing - that's all

Comment

See it as paid upskilling time. 5 days is plenty of time to do a self taught course or exam study for a certificate that can complement your skill set.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Different people have different ideas of an acceptable war chest. Like you, mine is about 6 months. At least two friends of mine will never take time off despite having plenty stashed as they're petrified about being out of work for any length of time.
        In the heady days of the 90s, work was so plentiful there was no need for warchest. Or so we thought... then came Jan 2 2000...
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
          I know you're not I did get ill, also had to be next of kin for a death in my family, so arranging the funeral, sorting out all the admin side of things etc a month before that. I've lost out on a lot of billable time in the last three months which has meant it's taken a hit.

I don't have another contract lined up after this one and whilst I do have a couple of months of reserves, I'd rather not deliberately take 5 days off where I could be billing - that's all
          Fair enough.

I've always used the remaining time on a contract to do the best hand-over possible. People seem to appreciate it and I'm sure I've had repeat business because I've made the perms life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Smile and invoice
            Chill & bill

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              My question is, what do you lot all do in your last week of a contract? I've finished all my project work, I've got a couple of hours of documentation to write.. I don't want to sit here all of next week thumb twiddling!
              Use the client's network to mine ETH.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Use the client's network to mine ETH.
                Believe me, if I could've got my rig in one of the server rooms here I absolutely would have!

Comment

The last thing I do is go through all the browsers installed on any ClientCo kit I've used removing any saved logins/passwords for external sites such as CUK

Though nowadays I usually take an iPad in with me and do any personal web surfing on that, so it's not so much of an issue.

Comment

In your position I’d be more worried about making sure I get a time sheet signed for the last week. If you’ve finished all the work how are you going to ask them to sign one when you’re doing sweet FA?
                    As someone else said, handover. Final documentation packs, handhold the operational guys, make sure the time sheet signer knows what you’re doing.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

MF will hook you up for an afternoon of cricket.

Comment

Working...
                      X