• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winding down the last week of my first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget to raid the stationery cupboard.

Comment

Check up on all those people you met just the once in other departments. One of them may be in the tulip and desperate to get another skilled body in urgently. You may get another month working on a test strategy or risk reduction plan or some other such nonsense. It happens more than people think.

Comment

Thanks HW - No such luck. IT team are quite literally kept in the basement away from the rest of the airport. Only other people in our building are actually from another company..! Not too worried, got 2 interviews lined up and a load of CV's out at clients as of last week... Fingers crossed.

Comment

Is there a main printer in the office and a big shredder? Are the desks reasonably open plan?

If so, print off random documents/spreadsheets, furtively run over to the printer, pick them up, sneak back to your desk, then get your laptop bag and put some paper in it.
          Then go to the shredder and shred stuff. Rinse and repeat.

Always act like you've got something to hide, but are trying to hide that fact.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Is there a main printer in the office and a big shredder? Are the desks reasonably open plan?

If so, print off random documents/spreadsheets, furtively run over to the printer, pick them up, sneak back to your desk, then get your laptop bag and put some paper in it.
            Then go to the shredder and shred stuff. Rinse and repeat.

Always act like you've got something to hide, but are trying to hide that fact.
            Or just reposition the shredder close to the printer....

Comment

Are you bored yet?

Comment

To be fair, I've had a flurry of calls for potential gigs and now have two interviews Thursday and another in the pipe with a date TBC this week - looks like I only have a couple of days to go!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  To be fair, I've had a flurry of calls for potential gigs and now have two interviews Thursday and another in the pipe with a date TBC this week - looks like I only have a couple of days to go!
                  Make sure you take those calls in the office, as loud as possible. Add in things like "that's twice as much as my last one and you say you're looking for two others to help?"
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How well do you get on with your line manager/chap/lady who took you on?

Could always go for a beer with them can't do any harm, always possibility of future work.

And if they have an alcohol problem, that's liquid lunches all week!

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      How well do you get on with your line manager/chap/lady who took you on?
                      We get on well - however the airport I am at has a 0 tolerance policy to alcohol which my "handler" as I refer to him, like reminding people of every now and again if they're joshing around about how drunk they got over the weekend. Nice enough guy, but total jobsworth when it comes to that sort of thing. Kinda chap who wouldn't risk more than one beer the night before coming to work in case it "broke policy" - that sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X