• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear what can Hector do?? The fines are invalid for the payer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear what can Hector do?? The fines are invalid for the payer

Automatic fines for late tax return invalid, HMRC warned | Daily Mail Online

Automatic fines for being late with your tax return are invalid, judge warns HMRC
    A judge has told HMRC that a lateness fine issued by a computer is not valid
    He said the requirement was for a 'flesh and blood human being' to issue it
    The deadline for self-assessment for the last tax year passes on January 31

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Would be interesting to have a link about this with more info that isn’t the Daily Mail. I’m guessing this has something to do with these the wording of the legislation.

This appears to be the main piece of legislation. I’ve read it. Can’t see what the judge is getting at. Any ideas?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/10/schedule/55
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 27 January 2018, 20:19.

Comment

Bit more here:

Automatic fines for late tax returns may not be legal, judge rules*

Sounds more like the fine appeal was upheld due to a reasonable excuse and that’s why HMRC haven’t appealed.

Edit: more details!

http://blogs.mazars.com/letstalktax/...ot-a-computer/
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 27 January 2018, 20:48.

Comment

A really nasty, little publicized change crept in this year adding to last minute submission stress .. 'personal credit cards cannot be used after 13 Jan 2018 for payments due'

Taxpayers banned from using credit cards to pay personal tax bills
        Last edited by SunnyInHades; 28 January 2018, 00:06.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
          A really nasty, little publicized change crept in this year adding to last minute submission stress .. 'personal credit cards cannot be used after 13 Jan 2018 for payments due'

Taxpayers banned from using credit cards to pay personal tax bills
          That was discussed quite a bit on CUK.

Comment

I think there was something like this with speeding tickets, that's why they are now issued in the name of the Chief Constable, even though they are computer generated still
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X