• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grassed up to facebook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassed up to facebook

On FB, my account is set up in a name that isn't my legal name, but is well known to friends and colleagues. Unfortunately, one of "friends" took exception, and reported my account as pseudonymnous. At that point FB decided that they'd lock the account in 7 days if I don't prove I'm known by the name on my account.

Not that I use the account much, but it's a minor irritation. Especially as the T&C don't say "real name" but "name you are known by".

Anyway, just thought I'd warn others who might not be using their legal name.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    On FB, my account is set up in a name that isn't my legal name, but is well known to friends and colleagues. Unfortunately, one of "friends" took exception, and reported my account as pseudonymnous. At that point FB decided that they'd lock the account in 7 days if I don't prove I'm known by the name on my account.

Not that I use the account much, but it's a minor irritation. Especially as the T&C don't say "real name" but "name you are known by".

Facebook is for sheep.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The Facebook mods must be a RIGHT bunch of anally retentive tosspots.

Welcome to OUR world!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Thanks for that though one of my friend's faced a similar issue with FB a few months back. As was the case, someone reported it as he was not using real name. Poor chap got very irritated...

Comment

I take it you have already paid a quiet visit to that 'friend' and beaten the living fook out of them for being a completely twat.

And also unfriended them.

Comment

What's the point of a fake profile if you also don't have fake friends on it.

For a small fee (bitcoin only ) we will allow you to 'friend' our fake profiles and we'll message you to confirm we know you by whatever fake name you go by on you fake profile. Sorted.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I am still confused by what this 'friend' was hoping to achieve with his/her actions.

Can anyone help me?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                I am still confused by what this 'friend' was hoping to achieve with his/her actions.

Can anyone help me?

My name was a transliteration into German of my real name - German's find it an amusing play on words. Except this one Swiss lady. She contacted me to say that she was disturbed by my choice of name, which she felt meant "revenge", and if I didn't change it, she'd unfriend me. I asked my Swiss and German acquaintances and they were baffled. It's possible to construe the phrase that way, but you have to really work at it - it's not normal usage at all. I told her I wasn't changing it, and explained that her understanding was entirely faulty. You know, in my normal, charming, diplomatic way.

I think even though she unfriended me (I can't know, because Facebook protects the identity of stoolpigeons, while seeking to invade yours) she made a complaint. But it could have been anyone.

On the plus side, I'm finally prompted to close my FB account! A definite win.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Nope - I can't believe this at all.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Can anyone help me?

What is a friend? I'm sure I recognise the word from somewhere, some vague memories from childhood, otherwise nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X