• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CDXXII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I would pay to watch that, I hate midges, flies and bitey things.
    I was thinking about the midges thing. It'd be like the scene in Aliens with the autoturrets, the lasers would probably burn out then the humans would be sucked dry in "punishment".

I may have too much time on my hands today...

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
      I was thinking about the midges thing. It'd be like the scene in Aliens with the autoturrets, the lasers would probably burn out then the humans would be sucked dry in "punishment".

I may have too much time on my hands today...
      I did briefly think about a robot arm with a some kind of device to either swat or suck in a bitey fly. It would sit next to you when you are outside and just kill the bitey thing. But robot arms are really slow unless you pay tens of thousands.

The misses told me to go and make something else that would make us rich. She isn't a visionary like me.

Comment

Great links this week!

On the poles - I have read about this before but what I haven't seen is an idea how long pole-reversal takes? In geological terms the poles 'flip' as the geological records show... but how long could we be without a strong and stable Tory leader magnetic field to repel nasty particles?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Great links this week!

On the poles - I have read about this before but what I haven't seen is an idea how long pole-reversal takes? In geological terms the poles 'flip' as the geological records show... but how long could we be without a strong and stable Tory leader magnetic field to repel nasty particles?
          Allegedly between 1,000 and 20,000 years:
          https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...magnetic-flip/

My question about the concerns is: How many of mankind's modern magnetic-based directional systems are absolute, and how many are relative?
          Yes, where a magnetic-based location is overlayed on a map (e.g. car sat nav) which is designed with the magnetic co-ordinates as key, then there'll be an issue, but if you have an aircraft, it is dialling in waypoints, not based on a "map", but on relative magnetic locations
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Great links this week!

I don't think the whole shebang hauls it way round bodily by 180 degrees, as you may be mentally envisaging it, so there's a possibly problematic time when the poles are at or near the equator and those bad particles are getting through in equatorial and temperate latitudes while this is going on.

What actually happens is that new "poles" spring up, possibly several. Initially these are weak, and the overall magnetic field "messy", but over time they gradually build in strength and eventually two new polar opposites predominate. Meanwhile the present poles weaken and falter until they subside entirely.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I don't think the whole shebang hauls it way round bodily by 180 degrees, as you may be mentally envisaging it, so there's a possibly problematic time when the poles are at or near the equator and those bad particles are getting through in equatorial and temperate latitudes while this is going on.

What actually happens is that new "poles" spring up, possibly several. Initially these are weak, and the overall magnetic field "messy", but over time they gradually build in strength and eventually two new polar opposites predominate. Meanwhile the present poles weaken and falter until they subside entirely.
              Yeah, I viewed it more like the field collapsing and re-growing, like falling through itself, rather than rotating. It seems like it just goes all wibbly-wobbly for a bit
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                • The Magnetic Field Is Shifting. The Poles May Flip. This Could Get Bad. - Alanna Mitchell summarises her forthcoming book The Spinning Magnet: "We know that the poles have changed places hundreds of times, most recently 780,000 years ago. We also know that when they flip next time, the consequences for the electrical and electronic infrastructure that runs modern civilization will be dire. The question is when that will happen."
                NatGeo have a "Don't Panic!" article in response to this, though of course they could be in the pay of Big Magnet: No, We're Not All Doomed by Earth's Magnetic Field Flip

Comment

Working...
                X