Greedy boomers Greedy boomers - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: Greedy boomers

Super poster

Lance - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But don't forget a good proportion of the younger populace expect inheritances from their boomer parents, and they will be (correctly) thinking exactly that about Corbyn & co.

So it's far from a foregone conclusion that everyone aged under, say, 50 will be rooting for Labour so they can get their hands on largesse redistributed from old timers if they have to share this with everyone else and in practice barely see a penny of it!
    Which is why May will be gone before the next GE. She is an open goal for Corbyn.

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    I think it's fair to say though that my Mum/Dads generation suffered poverty that is rarely seen in the UK. So, perhaps it's good that society is giving them something back.
    Quite.
    It's not their fault.
    And they vote. So the Tories keep rewarding them with winter fuel, generous pension increase, higher income tax allowance. However, If Corbyn can dress the wealth tax as something to not threaten the boomers' progeny then he might get in.
    See You Next Tuesday

Super poster

fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Have no fear, Corbyn is coming and he will be redistributing the "Boomers" wealth.

Erm, nope. He won't do anything like that. Have you got something to back that up ?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Erm, nope. He won't do anything like that. Have you got something to back that up ?
    "Land value tax" is just one example. Generally taxes will be going up.
    I'm alright Jack

Super poster

Lance - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    "Land value tax" is just one example. Generally taxes will be going up.
    The land value tax is an interesting idea. Not how Corbyn/McDonnel would do it though.

The idea being that capital outgrows labour (read Thomas Piketty). So rather than tax labour (income tax) you tax Capital. The simplest way to do this is taxing land.
    But not on the value of the land as that would be horribly disruptive, but the unimproved value of the land. That would encourage landowners to make more money from it.
    And free of income tax the whole economy benefits.
    See You Next Tuesday

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Which is why May will be gone before the next GE. She is an open goal for Corbyn.

Quite.
    It's not their fault.
    And they vote. So the Tories keep rewarding them with winter fuel, generous pension increase, higher income tax allowance. However, If Corbyn can dress the wealth tax as something to not threaten the boomers' progeny then he might get in.
    so you can live on £159.55 per week then??
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Super poster

Lance - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    so you can live on £159.55 per week then??
    I said the increase was generous.
    See You Next Tuesday

Banned

tarbera is NOT a disguised employee

Default not counting

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...000100980.html

Baby boomers born between 1946 and 1966 are set to receive over 20% more in support than they will have contributed in taxes over the course of their lives, the report said.
    not counting the Profits they have taken out buy buying up millions of council houses for buttons and selling for millions

** told the story before about the old chap in the pub that got his council house for £35K and sold for £1.4Million last year

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    greedy...
    Yes. Thank-you for defining the word. 2 marks for that. Now try to complete the argument.

• Explain why it applies to folk who have just happened to benefit from the policies of successive governments of all political persuasions. (3 marks).
    • Explain what, if your greed hypothesis is true, those "greedy" people should have done instead. (5 marks).

Pass mark is 50%. Good luck.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

Will things be better in 30 years time when these youngsters reach retirement age? I very much doubt it.

Maybe there is a problem with state funded support generally. Society is going in the wrong direction, too generous welfare, too much reliance on low cost unskilled employees who never pay their share of state expenditure. We need a low population, technology-based economy where only those who do what they reasonably can for themselves get help.

Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions. In a democracy governments are going to try and win support with expensive promises. If we didn't have a democracy the government would just be spending the money on themselves.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Godlike

PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Yes. Thank-you for defining the word. 2 marks for that. Now try to complete the argument.

• Explain why it applies to folk who have just happened to benefit from the policies of successive governments of all political persuasions. (3 marks).
    • Explain what, if your greed hypothesis is true, those "greedy" people should have done instead. (5 marks).

Pass mark is 50%. Good luck.
    Windfall tax