• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin price, where next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But do we not need miners to process the transactions? What happens without them?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
      But do we not need miners to process the transactions? What happens without them?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Has anyone told PC the bad news yet?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
          No ( not as far as I understand it .... but my understanding is limited, I'm sure some of the "True Believers" will correct me if I'm wrong ).

"Miners" solve a complex crypto problem that releases a new batch of coins. The problem was designed to get harder & harder to solve, and there's only a limited number of solutions.

When mining stops then the ability to create new BitCoins stops. However the existing BitCoins are still valid and tradeable, just the "money supply" will stop increasing.

Restriction of supply, should in theory, make coins individually more valuable - similar to having a currency backed by physical gold. However, I have know idea what will really happen.

They could just decide to allow coins to be traded in 0.00001 blocks rather than 0.0001 blocks. "They" being whomever it is who decides such things. They could, of course, all just fall into squabbling and trolling each other on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Has anyone told PC the bad news yet?
            I think you mean the tax payer.

Comment

No "To the moon" option, poll fail.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                No "To the moon" option, poll fail.
                Over $½M not good enough for you?

Actually, there was a >$1M but NAT replaced it with andyw.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Good effort sir.

But, erm, 27 post views and 57 votes for AndyW's mum?
                  Momentum rigged the election, get over it...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It's somewhere around $3000 per block in the US. Probably cheaper in China if you've a government hyr

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    N"Miners" solve a complex crypto problem that releases a new batch of coins.
                    Miners are given a hash value. They must find a number that hashes to that value, that is less than a set amount. The point being it is easy to verify that number meets the criteria, but it is very hard to find it. The first miner to do it gets the transaction fees (payable to the miner by the buyer in the transaction) for the block of transactions they've verified and a few bitcoins (12.5 at the moment?). The bitcoins they get per block verification is what dwindles over time.

Mining doesn't stop when the subsidy reaches zero. The validation of a block of transactions, and thereby adding it to the blockchain is called mining. This continues so long as transactions continue. Miners make money from the transactions they successfully process before anyone else.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X