• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scooter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scooter

Folks,
    For my next gig I am thinking about getting something like this:

https://www.oxelo.co.uk/town-9-ef-15...ium-id_8240435

I could drive to client site but it's an M25 route and therefore likely to be horrific. The alternative is a train to the nearest station to client site. Now from there it's a 25 min walk, but apparently you can do it on these scooters in a third of the time. That would be important enough for me to give the train commute proper consideration. And I'd get a bit fitter.

Any thoughts? And could I make the case for expensing it? Honest Hector, it really would be for weekday commuting.
    "My God, it's huge!!"

Where is the engine?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You want a solowheel. Guy passes me most mornings on one in Manchester and looks very cool. Not sure how useful it is in non pedestrianized areas though.

https://solowheel.com/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Great contributions as always folks. However I'm keen to do the fitness thing, so no engine and no expensive round thing from the Tron film. The scooter's got to be compact and train-friendly.

Any other brands to consider apart from Oxelo?
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Whilst I understand what you are doing and why there is one rule to understand.

Adults on things like scooters or bmx's look like tw@s

Not saying you are a tw@ I am sure you are a lovely person.

There are no two ways about - so best option is to walk.

Comment

Apart from the tw@t consideration, if the scooter involves proper exercise you will need a shower by time you get to the office. If you don't need a shower, then scootering from the station was perhaps not useful from a fitness point of view. Just walking might use up more calories. Fast march?

Always this "shower" thing that puts a spanner in the works.

Comment

Boris Sadiq Bike?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                Folks,
                For my next gig I am thinking about getting something like this:

https://www.oxelo.co.uk/town-9-ef-15...ium-id_8240435

I could drive to client site but it's an M25 route and therefore likely to be horrific. The alternative is a train to the nearest station to client site. Now from there it's a 25 min walk, but apparently you can do it on these scooters in a third of the time. That would be important enough for me to give the train commute proper consideration. And I'd get a bit fitter.

Any thoughts? And could I make the case for expensing it? Honest Hector, it really would be for weekday commuting.
                Spend a bit more and get a folding bike. Quicker, still good exercise, lower Twat factor and easier to carry bits and pieces in a back pack or on the bike.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thanks all for the continued excellence of your comments.
                  Tw@tness is a risk, but if scootering helps to make me an 11st tw@t instead of 13st tw@t, I'm ok with that.

Seriously, the more I read about these kick scooters, the more I want one. Less hass on the commute than a Brompton bike (now there's tw@tting greatness for you, surely), no real need to wear helmet etc. Seems that after doing 1-2 mile you may exhibit slight symptoms of moist and clam (certainly not needing a full blown shower, unless you are overweight to begin with).

Ooohh I'm going for it. Only problem now is that my daughter wants me to go scootering with her, which means declaring personal use, so can't be bothered to expense it. Looks like a trip to the well-known auction site.
                  "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X