• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM! New Contract in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Find a contract elsewhere. You are happy now, but soon even if they doubled your doubled day rate you will wish you had never accepted this London contract.

But it gets worse, in a few weeks you will become miserable and in a vain attempt to make yourself happy you buy yourself things. Perhaps a new car, tv etc. Soon, you will be trapped, you can't afford to take a contract elsewhere and lose your London day rate. You have a fancy car to pay off, still have to pay for that fancy holiday.

Trapped in the dredge of London, I only hope you hit rock bottom as gently as possible. Until, then my only advice is move up North, to the Jeweled city of Manchester.
    Balls! With the single (albeit HUGE) exception that it means being away from home, I *love* working in London.

Gets a bit intense after a while - especially once people realise that you're nearly always available for some after work drinks but a cracking good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Stand in first class - **** that!
      No alternative. Something had happened with the other trains and by the time I got on it was barely standing room only.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Balls! With the single (albeit HUGE) exception that it means being away from home, I *love* working in London.

Gets a bit intense after a while - especially once people realise that you're nearly always available for some after work drinks but a cracking good laugh.
        I'm afraid it's happened to you already, you have turned into a bumbling, rambling londoner. You now think you enjoy it there but like someone suffering PSDT you can't tell your arse from your elbow.

God help you.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I'm afraid it's happened to you already, you have turned into a bumbling, rambling londoner. You now think you enjoy it there but like someone suffering PSDT you can't tell your arse from your elbow.

God help you.
          I currently neither live, nor work, in London

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I quite like working in London and I live in the North.
            I go to site when I want.
            They pay my expenses (well most, they have a cap on evening meals which fine a McDs but not for food).
            I fly.
            I WFH the rest of the time.

To mattfx - get your feet under the table, get them to let you WFH at least 2 days a week and enjoy London town.
            Lance, you enjoy it because you arent there most of the time. Being in London has wrecked your brainy processes.

Comment

Thanks for the words of wisdom and all the congrats. I won't be in London all the time, in fact at time I could find myself up the other end of the country - I'm being pimped out to my clients clients. They front the bill on the expense tab outside of the M25 though, so that's all good. It's only a 3 month gig so if I don't like it I'll find something elsewhere.

One nice thing about being there is that my other half works a 5 minute walk away from their offices, so at least lunch times won't be dull!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                Thanks for the words of wisdom and all the congrats. I won't be in London all the time, in fact at time I could find myself up the other end of the country - I'm being pimped out to my clients clients. They front the bill on the expense tab outside of the M25 though, so that's all good. It's only a 3 month gig so if I don't like it I'll find something elsewhere.

One nice thing about being there is that my other half works a 5 minute walk away from their offices, so at least lunch times won't be dull!

Chap in my office was delighted to get £600 a day until I told him he was pimped out at £1850 a day

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  Chap in my office was delighted to get £600 a day until I told him he was pimped out at £1850 a day
                  It's my second gig, you have to start somewhere. Gradually been increasing the size of company that I've been working with and trying to make my CV more impressive each time I've made a move. I used to be paid £30k a year as a perm and got pimped out at £1200 a day for one consultancy, and that was only a couple of years ago. I didn't cry about it then and I certainly won't cry about it now

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    It's my second gig, you have to start somewhere. Gradually been increasing the size of company that I've been working with and trying to make my CV more impressive each time I've made a move. I used to be paid £30k a year as a perm and got pimped out at £1200 a day for one consultancy, and that was only a couple of years ago. I didn't cry about it then and I certainly won't cry about it now
                    Hear Hear!

Comment

Working...
                    X