• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM! New Contract in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

I commute on the same line into Waterloo but get on further out. Been doing it for 18 years. Plenty of trains from Basingstoke, you might not always get a seat though and although the trains are nowhere as bad as Southern you'll end up cursing a couple of times a month.

Things that will get on your nerves; guards with never ending announcements who think they're comedians, day trippers, loud people in the quiet zone, people who eat smelly food, people who nick your elbow or knee room.

My advice, use the train time to catch up on iPlayer, read, learn a language etc and ignore your surroundings totally. Don't get stressed over things you cannot change and you'll learn to love it......
    Have a kip - if you get a seat
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      Basingstoke - so not too bad. 45-50 mins on the train and then a 15-20 minute walk to the office
      I used to commute to London from Basingstoke (still live there). I paid the extra for a first class seat and I don't thing I had to stand once on the way there and only once on the wah back.

I used to nap or read.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Congrats - working in the City is an amazing experience and you will have a great time out there.

I contracted in a bank out there for a few years. It was hard work but everyone played hard and we were out for beers several times a week... during the evenings and during the daytimes too!

The 90 min (door-door) journey eventually felt like a real grind and I don't think I could have done it much longer. But do it while you can and for as long as it suits you.

Good result on the rate too

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I used to commute to London from Basingstoke (still live there). I paid the extra for a first class seat and I don't thing I had to stand once on the way there and only once on the wah back.

I used to nap or read.
            Stand in first class - **** that!

I was lucky - pretty much always had two seats to myself apart from odd fridays and when there was an event on in cardiff. Rugby world cup was a nightmare.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

For almost (but not quite) double the day rate of my first contract at the airport I will have spent a whole week on the bench between gigs. It's my first ever time commuting to London, any seasoned vets have any pearls of wisdom they'd care to share?!
              Slug and Lettuce in the city do half price gin on Thursdays
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You get stabbed in London I believe.

Plus the beer's flat and there's nowt moist in the chip shops...

Comment

It's my first ever time commuting to London, any seasoned vets have any pearls of wisdom they'd care to share?!
                  Find a contract elsewhere. You are happy now, but soon even if they doubled your doubled day rate you will wish you had never accepted this London contract.

But it gets worse, in a few weeks you will become miserable and in a vain attempt to make yourself happy you buy yourself things. Perhaps a new car, tv etc. Soon, you will be trapped, you can't afford to take a contract elsewhere and lose your London day rate. You have a fancy car to pay off, still have to pay for that fancy holiday.

Trapped in the dredge of London, I only hope you hit rock bottom as gently as possible. Until, then my only advice is move up North, to the Jeweled city of Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Find a contract elsewhere. You are happy now, but soon even if they doubled your doubled day rate you will wish you had never accepted this London contract.

But it gets worse, in a few weeks you will become miserable and in a vain attempt to make yourself happy you buy yourself things. Perhaps a new car, tv etc. Soon, you will be trapped, you can't afford to take a contract elsewhere and lose your London day rate. You have a fancy car to pay off, still have to pay for that fancy holiday.

Trapped in the dredge of London, I only hope you hit rock bottom as gently as possible. Until, then my only advice is move up North, to the Jeweled city of Manchester.
                    I quite like working in London and I live in the North.
                    I go to site when I want.
                    They pay my expenses (well most, they have a cap on evening meals which fine a McDs but not for food).
                    I fly.
                    I WFH the rest of the time.

To mattfx - get your feet under the table, get them to let you WFH at least 2 days a week and enjoy London town.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I used to work with a fellow contractor who would never do a London (City) gig back to back, he would always try to do the next one outside of the M25 as it was too much, commute, lifestyle, drinks, cost, etc.

Any way

Good luck.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X