• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office politics - bad clients you've had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office politics - bad clients you've had?

Always try to steer well away. Not interested at all.

Was thinking about one or two where you get dragged in and wonder if others have had similar. Generally, my method is go with the flow, but keep managers happy because they sign the timesheet.

Sometimes though its difficult not to get stuck in the middle..

I remember one place. Senior permie who had a different manager wanted me to do one thing, manager the other. Jeez. Nightmare that was. Some days I felt like saying to them - guys sort it out yourselves and leave me out of it. Hated each other but they seemed to want to use me in the middle.

Keep calm and invoice....

Anyone else got any horror stories?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

very similar situation. I was supporting 2 ERPs & a load of other applications when they went down (unable to ship or invoice) my Boss (the Whinger ) started having a go at me because I was fixing them not doing paperwork for him which was apparently wrong despite there being no documentation how to do it.

No stress involved..

Vague targets (which I expanded on and sent for approval) then punished for not achieving them they way he wanted which was different to what I documented).

I left
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Always try to steer well away. Not interested at all.

Was thinking about one or two where you get dragged in and wonder if others have had similar. Generally, my method is go with the flow and then post my life blog on the internet, but keep managers happy because they sign the timesheet.
      FTFY
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        FTFY
        Today I had cornflakes for breakfast followed by a large tulip. Then I stroked the cat and walked out the door and drove to work.

Comment

The worst job ever has not been so much the client but replacing another contractor.

I recall one job with THALES whereby the contractor I replaced I had to complete his job. I then realised the job I was to complete had not really begun, and it was fairly obvious. Thus I presented the evidence and status to the client. They were furious. Took it out on me. I stuck the job for 6 months. A job that really needed 2 years.

The worst part was the intimidation, when it became clear I was not renewing they pulled me upstairs. Me in the chair with the MD, the line managers 8 versus 1. First came threats, you've got to renew it's in your contract (no it isn't) followed by - "we'll give you your own office" - "pay for your flights to London" - "how much do you want?" -

No one threatens Scooter. I left and felt a whole lot happier for doing so.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Today I had cornflakes for breakfast followed by a large tulip. Then I stroked the cat and walked out the door and drove to work.
            <holding post for a post about how hard it is to travel>
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              The worst job ever has not been so much the client but replacing another contractor.

I recall one job with THALES whereby the contractor I replaced I had to complete his job. I then realised the job I was to complete had not really begun, and it was fairly obvious. Thus I presented the evidence and status to the client. They were furious. Took it out on me. I stuck the job for 6 months. A job that really needed 2 years.

The worst part was the intimidation, when it became clear I was not renewing they pulled me upstairs. Me in the chair with the MD, the line managers 8 versus 1. First came threats, you've got to renew it's in your contract (no it isn't) followed by - "we'll give you your own office" - "pay for your flights to London" - "how much do you want?" -

No one threatens Scooter. I left and felt a whole lot happier for doing so.
              Amazing how many clients assume you have to renew - I had one who thought I had to give 4 weeks notice if I wasnt going to renew. And thought it was ok to renew me last day - because they were safe.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                <holding post for a post about how hard it is to travel>
                local gig butti!

Comment

Mods, cant we give Psycho here his own sub forum ?
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Virgin Media. Managers only interested in their own bonus and sucking up to their own managers.
                    Had to do a project presentation, send the slides one week before to the department manager, she said it was good. Held the presentation and the departments manager's manager came suddenly in, halfway through the meeting, disrupted the whole thing as she usually does, said behind my back, she didn't like my slides, resulting in department manager also not liking the slides.
                    Things like this were(and as my informants tell are still) going on, on an almost daily basis. Constant backstabbing as soon as you walked out of a meeting where everybody agreed with the outcome. Was gone very quickly from that hornets nest

Comment

Working...
                    X