• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More political correctness - blackberry allergies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Idiots on the left "If you say anything I disagree with, I'll label you as offensive." Hence shutting down any reasoned discussion.

Idiots on the right "If you say anything I disagree with, you're only saying that because your offended." Hence shutting down any reasoned discussion.

So, - SNAFU then, all systems nominal

Comment

Idiots in the middle - pointing the above out, hence shutting down all reasoned discussion.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        What's so frustrating is you can't seem to buy t shirts that have:

I AM
        ABJECTLY SORRY
        FOR WHATEVER
        I JUST SAID
        although curiously you can buy a T shirt that says:

MY T-SHIRT
        CAN SAY N*****R
        BECAUSE ITS BLACK

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Idiots in the middle - pointing the above out, hence shutting down all reasoned discussion.
          Me and my brother were discussing this at the weekend.

Everything is now black and white for some people.

So like this film either you think it should be banned for taking the piss out of people with allergies - or you are wrong.

Where is the middle ground - why can I not say well i really do not care either way - and that is also wrong.

Either you are offended by it - or you are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

So like this film either you think it should be banned for taking the piss out of people with allergies - or you are wrong.

Where is the middle ground - why can I not say well i really do not care either way - and that is also wrong.

The younger generations need EVERYTHING painstakingly clarified for them.

They don't have either the time, energy, or the initiative to formulate their own point of view on anything.

Too busy playing on their phones.

They are ripe for a Big Brother society.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

They don't have either the time, energy, or the initiative to formulate their own point of view on anything.

HTH

As long they are arguing with each other over stupid 1st world problems they won't be paying too much attention to stuff that really matters.

Machiavelli in action.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I think it's a not very funny joke that's probably inappropriate in a supposedly family friendly kiddy's film. Trouble is there are enough tulipy kids who'd watch it and then go out and rub peanuts in some poor allergic kid's face thinking "hah hah, now he'll have to get his epi-pen or "Let's watch him go all blotchy and have breathing difficulties". Such fun! They'll probably video it on their mobile phones. If it had been something along the line of Gremlins (yes, I'm that old) where the characters are supposed to be nasty and anarchic, then fair enough. Context is everything.

I'm not offended by the film. Should it be banned? I doubt it, but if this is the height of its humour, it's almost certainly eminently missable.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think it's a not very funny joke that's probably inappropriate in a supposedly family friendly kiddy's film. Trouble is there are enough tulipy kids who'd watch it and then go out and rub peanuts in some poor allergic kid's face thinking "hah hah, now he'll have to get his epi-pen or "Let's watch him go all blotchy and have breathing difficulties". Such fun! They'll probably video it on their mobile phones. If it had been something along the line of Gremlins (yes, I'm that old) where the characters are supposed to be nasty and anarchic, then fair enough. Context is everything.

I'm not offended by the film. Should it be banned? I doubt it, but if this is the height of its humour, it's almost certainly eminently missable.
                  In this context I can see the point, the James Bulger case comes to mind when seeing this. It's a shame the PC movement and it's counter movement have got so out of hand.
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

HTH

Not all of the younger generations it would appear - depending on where in the world you live some of them are dealing with bigger issues:

Ahed Tamimi: Who is Palestinian teenage protester and why is she being detained? | The Independent

Brave girl - is there a #hashtag for her? I wonder how much traction it's getting among the empowered progressives of whom this girl should be a shining example - a feminist icon even.

But i think the California snowflakes would probably see her as a terrorist as she's on the wrong side of the tracks.

Comment

I was thinking about this last night and think i have found the problem.

Kids nowadays are bought up to make sure they are a voice for 'those who cannot be heard'.

Thus obviously why you see people getting offended about things which do not affect them - they are assuming they have a privilege to speak out for these people - as obviously these people cannot do it themselves or they would be doing - with me so far?

So has anyone who has a blackberry allergy actually got upset about this?

No - it is simply people who feel that if they had a blackberry allergy they would be offended by this.

but here's the kicker and the bit we need to work on.

We need to teach our kids that if someone does not speak out - you do not have a right to do it for them because for all you know they are not speaking out because they could not give a fook.

And therefore before you got offended you need to obtain written permission from the group you are being offended on behalf of before you can get on your twitter rant.

Think it should work well.
                      If kids thought it was funny to throw peanuts at someone with an allergy in real life, that would be a bad thing. At that age, it could seem funny and not serious.

The whole idea that you shouldn't act until the victim does is just incredibly, tragically selfish. I'm a straight white man so therefore I shouldn't care about racism or sexism or homophobic attacks? See a woman who has the signs of being involved in domestic abuse - leave her to get the courage to say so.

PC and snowflake mentality take it too far - looking for people who might be offended and them championing them. But offence and victimisation are very different. We absolutely should speak out for those who cannot speak for themselves, who are being badly treated.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X