• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eeeh - Me Smart Watch turned Polish!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno how it happened but suddenly can't understand a thing. Guessed it was Polish cos of all the Zs. Now working my way through the settings with the aid of Google translate trying to find the language option so I can set it back to English. Just got to:

zegar
    typ zegara
    czas i data
    =
    clock
    type of clock
    time and date

Maybe that would be a good way to make youngsters learn languages, keep hacking into their online games and changing them!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Ah sorted it! The Jesyk screen
    bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      At least, with an analogue watch, you can still tell the time....even if it does turn Polish....

Comment

Maybe that would be a good way to make youngsters learn languages, keep hacking into their online games and changing them!
        Thought of that 20 years ago

A game where at the end of each level a homework question pops up and they have a limited time to answer it correctly to make the door to the next level open
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's a good game with cars.

Was at a wedding where the bride worked in marketing at RangeRover. They leant her one of the top end models for the weekend of the wedding. The groom was very keen to show it off to me and his boss.
          The boss gets into the drivers seat, revs the engine etc. Groom shows him all the electronic gizmos (apart from the big touchscreen in the middle). While the groom is distracted, I set the system to Danish.

...it's different to the old days of tying balloons on the bumper, a potato on the exhaust and hair gel on the door handles, slightly less destructive but still good fun.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm a bit hesitant at using my Satnav now. I might head off to the beach and find myself in Wroclaw.
            bloggoth

Comment

Notice the genitive case in the second use of the word for clock

Comment

Notice the genitive case in the second use of the word for clock
                Good thing we just have "the" and not a gender selective version like lots of languages. It would open a huge door to lots of complaints about sexism.

PS Oh no! Just did a Google and it seems that nouns had gender in old English but that fell out of use and the male form was used for most nouns. How sexist!
                bloggoth

Comment

I'm a bit hesitant at using my Satnav now. I might head off to the beach and find myself in Wroclaw.
                  or worse, - Swindon

Comment

Good thing we just have "the" and not a gender selective version like lots of languages. It would open a huge door to lots of complaints about sexism.

PS Oh no! Just did a Google and it seems that nouns had gender in old English but that fell out of use and the male form was used for most nouns. How sexist!
                    Genitive case indicates possesion.

And Russian has no articles at all, which might seem to make it easy to learn but in fact makes it harder with no way to indicate the definate and the indefinate.

Russian and Polish and most Slavic langauges have inflected nouns and adjectives, but not Bulgarian interestly.

Comment

Working...
                    X