• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ANyone tried the Brave browser?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a fiddle - looks good.

PS Mind you, I note that it blocks Google analytics as a tracker. Hmm.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      No, but don't forget it's not just about privacy. Anything that cuts the carp adware, especially videos, should perform much better.

But that said, I do find it a bit creepy and irritating when after searching for something in Amazon I am immediately bombarded with ads for the same on other pages.
      How does brave fund itelf - I dont understand the business model. What am i missing

Comment

Haven't tried yet but will give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
          How does brave fund itelf - I dont understand the business model. What am i missing
          So far they've raised around $7m in venture capital funding so I'm guessing they are still burning that.

From the website

In 2017, we are focusing on the Basic Attention Token (BAT), and the ecosystem that it will enable, offering users and publishers a better way to fund the Web. With BAT (along with staking users with a share of tokens), Brave will work to offer privately-matched, anonymously-verified ads. Users can opt-into this.
          So they will serving ad's on an opt in basis.

They also have a digital wallet function that lets you add money to it and then make micro-payments to web content publishers that you like and that have signed up with Brave to get those payments. I'm guessing Brave will be taking a slice at both ends.

Brave Payments is a system that allows you to anonymously donate to content producers that you like. All you need to do is create a BAT wallet and add an amount. Then, when you visit websites, Brave Payments automatically distributes microdonations based on the time you devote. You can customize your list of favorite websites. You can even “pin” specific sites to receive a certain amount every month. It’s like becoming a patron. With regard to your privacy in Brave Payments, we do not know which BAT wallet is associated with the lists of sites that you choose to support. In other words – you, the user, have access to your browsing report but Brave (the company) does not have that information.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It is probably browser fingerprinting that is responsible your creepy ads tracking you round the web. There is no way of escaping it AFAIK. Even through Tor you can still be fingerprinted.

(fingerprinting is where the web site makes a hash from bits of your incoming info, eg screen res., browser version, add-ons etc. Since we all have different combinations of these things, it is pretty unique)

Comment

Ah, so it's another crypto solution where they will allow users to purchase their tokens for donating to sites as an alternative to sites relying on advertisements for income. They also take 5% cut of donations to sites from spending their own tokens. Nice little earner.

I presume the idea is the site either cannot detect their ads are being blocked by the browser or will have a way of letting it slide if they get a donation via the browser?

Anyone done some extensive testing to see if the browser works with most sites that have active ad blocker detection, to see if you still get pestered to whitelist them or get 'sorry we notice you're blocking ads' that is more annoying than the ads themselves. No I won't whitelist you, but I will blacklist you.

Will give it a go if the feedback remains positive.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                May give it a go.

Generally it's a pity that companies, MS, Google etc, don't pay any attention to comments re their browsers on major, often their own, forums. Changes many people want can be quite small but they don't bother. Eg. I quite like Edge but no option, as in IE, to allow cookies only for certain sites.
                WHS

In Edge I'd like the option to specify a page to visit when a new window is opened ( the Google search page, I'm ashamed to say )

Also, the latest Firefox seems to hang on to page history like a limpet. Whereas previously visited pages (displayed on the main screen) used to be deletable with one keystroke by just clicking on the cross, it now takes three.
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 16 February 2018, 11:37.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I mostly browse in incognito mode and logout of gmail, facebook etc when I'm not using it

The scariest thing though which I had two times within the last two months is, I bought an item fully off line, but paid with credit card in the shop (no research on line etc) and immediately got adds on facebook about those items.
                  So is my credit card linked somehow illegally to my Facebook account or did my conversations about the items get recorded illegally through my smart phone, tv or laptop?

Trying Brave now, looks good

Comment

Annoying things on Brave. No option to start with a specified list in tabs - last used tabs is not same thing. Tabs also cannot be renamed, show URL, or title once clicked.
                    bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It is probably browser fingerprinting that is responsible your creepy ads tracking you round the web
                      Wonder if you can fake a fingerprint. We could pretend to be <your most hated CUKer here> and view illegal material.
                      bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                      X