• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why you are all miserable bastards...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It's a fair point.

I mean if you suddenly won the lottery and never had to work how soon would
    a) You get your golf handicap down to single figures
    b) Become an alcoholic/addict of some kind
    c) Travel the world
    d) Do something useful

For me if i won the lottery would probably start a small racing team.... but then in reality that is just 'working' again

I mean maybe if I had loads of money I may spend more time trying to be more imaginative...
    Some people don't really get it, I feel sorry for them in a way. They say things like "Yeah, but I'd be bored and have nothing to do if I were wealthy enough to quit work..."

I mean, you prefer some jumped up little permie twerp telling you to get in earlier and close more JIRA tickets in the Sprint, or maybe you'd instead like to go swim with some dolphins in the Bahamas or write a novel or play golf and stay in nice hotels in wonderful locations....

No? okay enjoy wasting your life at work ...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I mean, you prefer some jumped up little permie twerp telling you to get in earlier and close more JIRA tickets in the Sprint, ..
      How many tickets have you closed so far today? Come on, get to it - No time to sit around posting all day, when there are bugs to be fixed!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Some people don't really get it, I feel sorry for them in a way. They say things like "Yeah, but I'd be bored and have nothing to do if I were wealthy enough to quit work..."

I mean, you prefer some jumped up little permie twerp telling you to get in earlier and close more JIRA tickets in the Sprint, or maybe you'd instead like to go swim with some dolphins in the Bahamas or write a novel or play golf and stay in nice hotels in wonderful locations....
        I think some form of "work" is important for ones wellbeing - I like to think I'd find the time to get into charity, interesting investments, maybe take a punt on some fun businesses or something. Sure as hell wouldn't be working "for" somebody, though.

But yes, overall I agree with you. "Bored" is not really something I can comprehend given funding, but then I've always had way way too many hobbies I could write off a year just flying, for a start I reckon.

I think the problem with money, ignoring lottery wins and windfalls, is that the type of people who can earn big money aren't generally the type of people who can sit back and relax. I think we all have a....I dunno... a degree of work ethic we settle on. I know I'm never ever going to be a Fortune 100 CEO because reading those "Day in a life of" things where they're up at 5 reading the Financial Times make me wince - my first port of call of being "in charge" would be to sleep in until 9 every day!
        Last edited by vwdan; 15 February 2018, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          So for those who can't think much if anything fulfilling to do in their spare time, having pots of money may not be all it's cracked up to be and may even be a curse.
          Money allows the pursuit of hobbies in spare time, like stamp collecting..

GB 1840 SG2 Pl.1a Penny Black Imprimatur
          £250,000
          Buy here. American Express, Visa, Mastercard and PayPal accepted

Comment

I want a recording studio, record label and time to learn and practice music and hire session musicians, set up gigs/events/festivals etc.

No problems filling my time if/when the Lambos come rolling in

I'd love to have enough time/money to make and distribute music just for the art with no commercial incentive. Go and get some of those really good buskers off he street, get them in the studio and touring.

Got to have a dream.
            Last edited by Jog On; 15 February 2018, 16:16.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              I want a recording studio, record label and time to learn and practice music and hire session musicians, set up gigs/events/festivals etc.

No problems filling my time if/when the Lambos come rolling in

I'd love to have enough time/money to make and distribute music just for the art with no commercial incentive. Go and get some of those really good buskers off he street, get them in the studio and touring.

Got to have a dream.
              It's a great idea...

maybe 3 years of doing it before you are bored???

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                It's a great idea...

maybe 3 years of doing it before you are bored???
                I'll never get bored of music, I spend most of my spare time playing guitar or producing on the DAW. I've got stuff published on Spotify/iTunes - not many listens/downloads yet but I haven't started marketing it yet.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  I'll never get bored of music, I spend most of my spare time playing guitar or producing on the DAW. I've got stuff published on Spotify/iTunes - not many listens/downloads yet but I haven't started marketing it yet.
                  go for it old son! music's the true international language

Comment

Disagree...

Comment

Didn't some ancient Greek bloke say that happiness required self determination (freedom), friends and living in a nice place?

Comment

Working...
                      X