• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice: Name Your Price

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice: Name Your Price

I am an IT PM and have been offered a 3 month extension to my original 6 month contract by company A. I think they are looking to bring in permies and just need me to get 2 projects over the line.

However I have put my CV about and been offered a 6 month contract for £150/day more by company B.

Having told company A that I am not signing the extension, they have now asked my what I want in order to stay, since at least one of the projects is business critical, and they don't have time to find a suitable replacement

Now if I ask company A for a 6 month contract and £x/day more than the offer from company B, my concern is that I can be given 4 weeks notice at any point, and therefore the 6 months thing is not really worth much. Also the offer of 6 months from company B will likely lead to extensions

The agency acting on behalf of company A have suggested a 6 month extension with a 3 month notice period. However I am not too impressed with that since I could be served with notice the day after I sign the extension.

I would be grateful for any advice on options for staying with company A, (including asking for a much higher day rate), or notice period options.

The work at company B looks very exciting, and its an organisation that I have always wanted to contract for, but part of my professional pride would like me to get the projects for company A over the line. If I did extend with company A then the opportunity for company B would be unlikely to come round again

you aren't getting married you can use & abuse.

Take the one that floats your boat and /or pays well!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The notice period is worth feck all, either way, because you get paid for work done, not for sitting on yer ass during a notice period with no work offered. In other words, don't choose on the basis of which one you hope will last longer. They're both as good as the day you're working. Personally, I'd go with the more interesting one unless the difference in rate was, say, more than one whole Great British Pound Sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by yerags View Post
        Having told company A that I am not signing the extension, they have now asked my what I want in order to stay, since at least one of the projects is business critical, and they don't have time to find a suitable replacement
        I would be grateful for any advice on options for staying with company A, (including asking for a much higher day rate), or notice period options.
        It sounds like you're willing to forego the opportunity to work at company B if company A makes it worth your while. I also assume that your offer from company B is firm, and that company A is aware that you have a competing offer for your services.

If so, do not, under any circumstance, tell company A what you want in order to stay. This will only make you either a bad guy (for asking for too much) or a chump (for not asking for enough). Instead, you put the ball back in company A's court and give them one chance to make their best and final offer to extend you. When do you need to give company B your decision? This is how long you give company A to make their offer.

If company A fails to respond in time, they were not serious. You leave and accept company B's offer without any guilt or damage to your professional pride.

If company A makes an offer that fails to meet your expectations, they don't recognise your value. You leave and accept company B's offer without any guilt or damage to your professional pride.

If company A makes an offer that meets or exceeds your expectations, they know they need you. You stay, and apologise to company B, thanking them for their time without any guilt or damage to your professional pride.

No muss, no fuss.

Comment

Or you put a subbie in company A and tell them what needs doing...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Tell me OP, have you ever seen a fat lazy contractor naked?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I am an IT PM and have been offered a 3 month extension to my original 6 month contract by company A. I think they are looking to bring in permies and just need me to get 2 projects over the line.

However I have put my CV about and been offered a 6 month contract for £150/day more by company B.

Now if I ask company A for a 6 month contract and £x/day more than the offer from company B, my concern is that I can be given 4 weeks notice at any point, and therefore the 6 months thing is not really worth much. Also the offer of 6 months from company B will likely lead to extensions

The agency acting on behalf of company A have suggested a 6 month extension with a 3 month notice period. However I am not too impressed with that since I could be served with notice the day after I sign the extension.

The work at company B looks very exciting, and its an organisation that I have always wanted to contract for, but part of my professional pride would like me to get the projects for company A over the line. If I did extend with company A then the opportunity for company B would be unlikely to come round again
              Go for B.
              You have to look after yourself - No.1
              You have fulfilled your contract @ A
              Sounds like A need you but short term only and might resent you over time for getting more money.

Comment

Tell them you demand "Prima Nocta" from Any new starts

Comment

I would take company B, other things being equal. You've served the contract period at company A, and B seems like a logical advancement.

If company A increase your rate substantially, they are perhaps less likely to renew after 3 months. In fact they probably won't anyway, due to the project requirements. Don't get mixed up in notice periods, they are just a legal safety net and should not affect your choice or the clients choice in hiring you.

Comment

What would suity do?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X