• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internal Code of Compliance courses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all your help, this now makes complete sense to me Have a lovely weekend.

Comment

Poxi, you are on the right track with your thoughts. Absolutely stick to it. Ask yourself this question, when a plumber comes to install a new tap for you, does he care what compliance measures you have set up at your house? He will stick to his plumbing industry guidelines. Same applies here.

Say no, tell them you are not an employee and a service provider and engage your lawyer to take this further.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Health and safety briefings are often mandatory for every contractor including builders, cleaners and just day visitors entering a industrial site, so if it's mandatory for everybody don't worry.
        Banks and other regulated industries won't let you start until you have done their compliance crap wouldn't worry about that either

Comment

Take it or leave the gig. Those are your choices. There are no IR35 implications here.

Comment

Originally posted by PoxiLoxi View Post
            My current employer ...
            For a contractor, the words "employer" and "my" in the same sentence are about as appropriate as "kiddy fiddler" and "I'm a".

The word you're looking for is CLIENT!

HTH
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Double repeat condescension....all we need now is for someone to tell you to "speak to your accountant" or "use google to find your answer" or tell you "you're really not cut out for this contracting gig" and we'd have a full house at CUK bingo

Comment

My current employer wants me to take the company's internal Ethics and Compliance courses stating they are a requirement for contractors as well as employees.

My feeling is that this would adversely affect my working outside IR35 status so I'm refusing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should capitulate and take it or stick to my guns.

Thanks
                Hi OP. I would say it is ok to attend courses where it is *well* understood that you are a contractor and not an employee. Your client has stated that they want contractors to take the course, so it seems the understanding is there. If you do attend, don't let anyone, or any piece of paperwork, mistake you for an employee. Personally I always try to avoid rubbishy courses, just don't like them.

Incidentally you would be "declining" the invitation, not "refusing".

Ignore northernladuk, He is a waste of space the way he talks to people, and has been for years.

Comment

My current employer wants me to take the company's internal Ethics and Compliance courses stating they are a requirement for contractors as well as employees.

My feeling is that this would adversely affect my working outside IR35 status so I'm refusing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should capitulate and take it or stick to my guns.

Thanks
                  If you say no, will it affect your chances of being Employee of the Month again?

Comment

How the hell will anyone know?

I did attend a Health & Safety Induction when I started at my last place. How the hell will they know anyway?

I didn't sign anything to say I attended it... was easier to just do it and not make a fuss.

Is that bad practice? But more importantly, how will anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      Poxi, you are on the right track with your thoughts. Absolutely stick to it. Ask yourself this question, when a plumber comes to install a new tap for you, does he care what compliance measures you have set up at your house? He will stick to his plumbing industry guidelines. Same applies here.

Say no, tell them you are not an employee and a service provider and engage your lawyer to take this further.
                      This ^^^^^ is just wrong.

If a plumber were to turn up to a professional building site he will have to abide by their H&S guidelines and other compliance requirements. And that may well involve 'training', even if that's just a 20 minute video on how not to be stupid on site. If he 'politely declines' he's not allowed on site. End of.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X