• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internal Code of Compliance courses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal Code of Compliance courses

My current employer wants me to take the company's internal Ethics and Compliance courses stating they are a requirement for contractors as well as employees.

My feeling is that this would adversely affect my working outside IR35 status so I'm refusing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should capitulate and take it or stick to my guns.

Thanks

Originally posted by PoxiLoxi View Post
    My current employer wants me to take the company's internal Ethics and Compliance courses stating they are a requirement for contractors as well as employees.

My feeling is that this would adversely affect my working outside IR35 status so I'm refusing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should capitulate and take it or stick to my guns.

Thanks
    Get yer substitute to do it for you.

Comment

My current employer...
      I think this is one for NLUK to deal with.

Comment

[QUOTE=PoxiLoxi;2530614]My current employer wants me to take the company's internal Ethics and Compliance courses stating they are a requirement for contractors as well as employees.

My current employer
        I think you ****ed that up royally yourself already so too late to worry about.

Thanks
        I think you need to understand what you are better.

But seriously.. if you did understand what and how a contractor operates you wouldn't need to ask this question... but hey, tickbox IR35 is better than nothing... isn't it?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that helpful insight. My current Client.

I'm a new contractor and unlike you I'm happy to concede I don't know everything, hence the question.

Are you happy now.

Comment

Thank for that helpful insight. My current Client.

Are you happy now.
            Not really. You've used the word but don't understand the relationship. If you did you'd have the answer to your question.

Let's try help you with an answer by asking question. Should you sign H&S documents or Security Policies because of your IR35 status?

Also what is the impact of you not doing the course?

Comment

News just in. New contractor doesn't know everything and doesn't want to assume, so asks question!

I imagine you were born knowing how to do everything.

Your condescending comments have been so helpful. Thanks.

Comment

News just in. New contractor doesn't know everything and doesn't want to assume, so asks question!

I imagine you were born knowing how to do everything.

Your condescending comments have been so helpful. Thanks.
                In a twisted way they are. It makes you think about your relationship with your client and what type of training you should/shouldn't do.

Just to tick the box so you can go back to your employer, there is absolutely no problems doing internal code of conduct courses supplied by clients. They have legal responsibilities to make sure all the work done meets various regulations and this is there way of attempting to meet those responsibilities. Trying to stay on the right side of the law and then letting a load of guys come in and work unethically opening the company to risk isn't really much use.

Refusing is just going to make you a problem and also a risk so they'll more like bin you than say OK.

Comment

P.S. Might be worth spending two seconds checking whether General is the right place to post your question in future. We have to be nice to you in the Professional fora.... General on the other hand....

Comment

Thanks
                    Stick to your guns - you will be terminated, but will have a warm glow knowing you were right

Comment

Working...
                    X