• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal negotation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal negotation

Rate is currently £425 a day for doing full stack development/architecture work.

I originally took the role having worked with 3 of these people from a previous contract with the intention to come in at a “low” rate, deliver as much as possible within a 6 month timeframe and then up the rates.

How the structure is setup.

One permanent CIO

Team structure is 3 managers (All contractors reporting to the CIO), 3 developers, I’m the only contractor within the development team and the only one who can do the web and database work.

I originally helped the contractors setup their limited company and appoint accountants as they were previously permies, however wanted to venture out in contracting since they were offered £1000 a day to oversee this project which is speculated as a 2year gig.

We’ve achieved a lot within the first 6 months we’ve been setup and the CIO is really keen on what we are doing. My contract renewal is up and they offered me an extension at £450 up from £425. However I feel this is somewhat of a disapointing increase after working a lot of hours to get things up and running and to the standard they are at today. I asked for £525, however they are trying to hold me off and said they would have negotiate it to the CIO.

In the back of my mind I feel they want to operate “cheaply” while they take home the big cash and praise for the work myself and the other team members acomplished.

Obviously the best advice IMO is to talk it through with the 3 of them and potentially the CIO if the managers are unwilling to up things any more.

The CIO wants to meet everyone in the development team, howevever I’ve been told not to mention anything about the rate increase until after that event and that I should mention it with them rather than the CIO, they say its due to other contractors being cut in other areas.

In two minds to find another contract if they can’t give me a clear cut answer as I feel if I left before the CIO meeting it wouldnt look good on their behalf.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Originally posted by CoderSaturn View Post
    Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      'cos it's pronounced three?

Comment

?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        ??

Comment

I asked for £525, however they are trying to hold me off and said they would have negotiate it to the CIO.
          You'd better have a response ready for when they fail to meet your number.

Comment

Where are you based? Is £425 a "low" rate? It sounds about right - you might be able to get more central London, but anywhere else you're probably on a fairly decent rate. Plenty of contacts out there advertised at £350 and less.

In terms of negotiation, the usual advice is that you have to be prepared to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
              You'd better have a response ready for when they fail to meet your number.
              True, that’s why I would ideally line up another deal elsewhere incase they said no. £425 isnt a bad rate and tbh I dont need the extra money, this is purely on principle that I’ve worked my a$$ off to get where we are, I’m running a business and aside that and one of the managers hasnt really done a great deal yet is still taking home more than me.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Where are you based? Is £425 a "low" rate? It sounds about right - you might be able to get more central London, but anywhere else you're probably on a fairly decent rate. Plenty of contacts out there advertised at £350 and less.

In terms of negotiation, the usual advice is that you have to be prepared to walk.
                Manchester. Yes, I agree £425 is a good rate. Like I mentioned above, I dont really need the extra but its more about principle about working hard and being rewarded, especially when the people you’re working with are connected at a CIO level and taking the big money for themselves.

Comment

I love these kind of posts where a new poster goes "I went in at a lowish rate, worked like a tramp and helped convert the permies to contractors. Think Im worth, say, £525 a day at renewal because, well, why not?"

Sits back and watches

Comment

450 is a reasonable increase, can't see them going beyond a 10% increase.

If you feel you deserve it because of "unpaid" overtime, agree to the 450 and don't do any more of it or charge them.

Anyway good luck.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 February 2018, 21:08.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X