• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's all folks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I draw another

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Good luck! I agree with ALL your points as I was in the same boat - but my last attempt at doing that really didn't work out psychologically. If I could take staying away out of the equation (Which is almost impossible in my niche) I'd contract for as long as it was financially possible but you're right, it does drag.

Still, I'll keep grinding and working on a plan. I don't intend to still be in IT when I retire, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Had enough of living away from home for months on end. Gone back to the dark side and got a perm job 20 minute drive from home. Free parking, decent buildings, subsidised canteen, free hugs, etc.

I'd say it's been a pleasure but in the last few years contracting has become less and less enjoyable. Made many good friends and acquaintances (people and pubs!) on the road but that Dorothy bird was right, there's no place like home.

The most important thing I've learned is that something that was said to me 20 years ago was nearly right. When I asked for a pay rise when I was on about £16,500 a year, a senior manager said, "it's not all about the money." All I could think of wanting to say was, "let's swap salaries and bank accounts then!"

What I've now realised is that the saying should be is "it's not all about the money once you're earning enough to provide, entertain and save." Now that I'm in that position, I'm fortunate enough to get a decent but relatively stress-free job (yes, NLUK, THIS is a job!!!) and enjoy a much better work/life balance. Good luck to everyone who is still out there contracting - I suspect in coming years that you're going to need it.
        I can't believe anyone can be content with a permie salary.

You're obviously just not spending enough!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The mere thought of annual pay review and performance reviews just makes me take a spoon and gouge my eyes. Fair play you seem happy to go perm and hope it all works out but I will never be able to undergo that trauma.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I'm going 50% permie with one of clients - they made me an offer that was very hard to refuse. The other 50% I'm continuing contracting to my other clients. Best of both worlds, possibly? I seldom have to be away from home.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Perm appears comfortable, but suffers from relative low pay, high taxation, mind crushing performance reviews, personal development plans, team targets, appraisals...the list goes on and on....for anyone who has been a contractor it's a type of cruelty.

The 25 days strict holiday limit is something I would never be able to stomach. Between contracts I take at least 3 months off to holiday, get things done and recharge. And still take home more than the senior managers in many places.

You are supposed to do it in this order:

Permie
              Contractor
              Plan B
              Early comfortable retirement

Comment

Perm appears comfortable, but suffers from relative low pay, high taxation, mind crushing performance reviews, personal development plans, team targets, appraisals.
                As a recent contractor to perm you're wrong on many counts. If you are a half decent contractor you know that you can outstrip most of the current perms. Your 'performance review' is your annual route to a pay raise, again as a contractor you will be far better equipped to negotiate.

My reasons for jumping ship are simple - variety of work and learning more about strategic decision making. As for PDP's I'm angling to get Chartered status ...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Perm appears comfortable, but suffers from relative low pay, high taxation, mind crushing performance reviews, personal development plans, team targets, appraisals...the list goes on and on....for anyone who has been a contractor it's a type of cruelty.

The 25 days strict holiday limit is something I would never be able to stomach. Between contracts I take at least 3 months off to holiday, get things done and recharge. And still take home more than the senior managers in many places.

You are supposed to do it in this order:

Permie
                  Contractor
                  Plan B
                  Early comfortable retirement
                  A few companies I know allow you unpaid holidays, up to a month a year.

Comment

My current allows you to buy/sell hols and with approval 4 weeks is allowed. Not that I need that, a couple of days on the narrowboat and I'm completely unstressed.

Comment

If you are choosy and pick the right mid-sized consultancy you can get much more than an equivalent Dev/BA in a normal company, even the large ones.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X