• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's all folks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Perm appears comfortable, but suffers from relative low pay, high taxation, mind crushing performance reviews, personal development plans, team targets, appraisals...the list goes on and on....for anyone who has been a contractor it's a type of cruelty.

The 25 days strict holiday limit is something I would never be able to stomach. Between contracts I take at least 3 months off to holiday, get things done and recharge. And still take home more than the senior managers in many places.

You are supposed to do it in this order:

Permie
    Contractor
    Plan B
    Early comfortable retirement
    Aren't you overlooking an extra stage:

Permie
    Contractor
    Divorce
    Contractor
    Die (of old age or exhaustion)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Aren't you overlooking an extra stage:

Permie
      Contractor
      Divorce
      Contractor
      Die (of old age or exhaustion)
      I think the term to describe it is "Spent hen"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Perm appears comfortable, but suffers from relative low pay, high taxation, mind crushing performance reviews, personal development plans, team targets, appraisals...the list goes on and on....for anyone who has been a contractor it's a type of cruelty.

The 25 days strict holiday limit is something I would never be able to stomach. Between contracts I take at least 3 months off to holiday, get things done and recharge. And still take home more than the senior managers in many places.
        You need to be more picky about who you work for, a luxury few get but one contractors might be able to indulge.

That said we all have to jump through hoops whether it is doing our accounts or an annual appraisal. Personally, getting paid to have a meeting where you play the game and say what they want to hear is no more mind-crushing than arsing about with invoices once a month and having to go through two sets of accounts each year checking things add up
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well, here we are, on a PAID day off.

One month in, first 1:1 (monthly newbie checkup) went swimmingly and they love me. Tough interview probably helped. Getting to learn R and Power BI, as well as the potential for other similar stuff and a progression towards full-on data science in future.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What the utter ****?

<shakes head sadly>

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              What the utter ****?

<shakes head sadly>
              Get back to work you contracting scumbag.

To be honest, it's been brilliant being home every night and the idea of being somewhere for a longer term programme of work rather than a single project appeals too. As I said earlier, I've had enough of running the risk of being binned off on the whim of a clueless director - the most recent experience of this confirmed my desire to move up the ladder rather than remain contracting.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Get back to work you contracting scumbag.

To be honest, it's been brilliant being home every night and the idea of being somewhere for a longer term programme of work rather than a single project appeals too. As I said earlier, I've had enough of running the risk of being binned off on the whim of a clueless director - the most recent experience of this confirmed my desire to move up the ladder rather than remain contracting.
                Back?

Fair enough. My latest gig is close enough for me to be home in 45 minutes, it's certainly an improvement on 90 minutes each way twice a day so I get where you're coming from.

Comment

I've had enough of running the risk of being binned off on the whim of a clueless director ..
                  You could still be binned at the whim of a clueless accountant if the company needs to downsize
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well, here we are, on a PAID day off.
                    (Makes a note to bump this thread the next leap year when you're working for free that day)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      You could still be binned at the whim of a clueless accountant if the company needs to downsize
                      Aye, but the CEO is very keen on BI/MI here so we're good for at least a couple of years by which time I'll have racked up a decent pay-off.

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                      (Makes a note to bump this thread the next leap year when you're working for free that day)
                      Panics! Oh, wait, paid day off tomorrow too.

Comment

Working...
                      X