• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    How does that compute with your statement above: Remember this is a technical trade, not a long term hold"

So, you'll never sell if stays below your buying price of 36? Since you don't have a stop-loss in mind, do you put a time-limit on when you'll bail if it continues to fall?

If not, it sounds like this is a long term trade unless you make a profit. Or is a trade at this level a punt for you?
    It computes just fine for me. Make sure the company has a purpose & likely growth demand. Tick. Now what the technicals? I like - tick. But I'm not holding long, I'm not watching more than 6-8 trades, otherwise the quality of my study drops.

"So, you'll never sell if stays below your buying price of 36? Since you don't have a stop-loss in mind, do you put a time-limit on when you'll bail if it continues to fall?"

Correct. So many traders / investors make this mistake, buy high sell low. They are are unable to exercise patience. Time limit, yes - until September or my target, whichever is reached first. Strategy minus emotion = killing it.

We're still in a bear market and may remain so until late 2021. What I'm doing here is demonstrating how it is possible to make profit in a bear market.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Well, firstly Centrica were hit badly by the energy price cap and falling gas prices.

British Gas owner Centrica hit by energy price cap - BBC News

Beginning of this month they cancel the final dividend to be paid in 2020

Dividends | Centrica plc

Excellent.

Bad news = contrarian indicator.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Time limit, yes - until September or my target, whichever is reached first.
        Ok, so you bought at £36 and your either out in September or "taking 1st profits between £65-70". Will be interesting to see where this one goes...

Comment

Centrica was a dog before the crash and it's even more of a dog now. Just look at its debt pile. The dividend will take a beating soon.

But well done on buying it just before the 3%+ fall today.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Centrica was a dog before the crash and it's even more of a dog now. Just look at its debt pile. The dividend will take a beating soon.

But well done on buying it just before the 3%+ fall today.
            I'm also glad he took his own advice ... sorry opinion ... from a week ago and got out of all stocks at the peak because only an idiot would be buying into stocks at the moment

Edit - currently down 3.82%
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Excellent.

Bad news = contrarian indicator.
              So, the logical conclusion is that good news = bad news?

"contrarian indicator" sounds like an emotional response to something you don't like the sound of.

Comment

Just looking through scooty's old portfolio. Stumbled across Woolworth's, MFI, Lunn Polly, Vosene Shampoo, Enron, Blockbuster, Iomega, DeLorean, Geocities, Netto and Comet. He loves a contrarian indicator does Scoots - will no doubt be going big on Jarvis and Intu next.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think we can safely conclude Scooty has the Cretin of the Year Award in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I think we can safely conclude Scooty has the Cretin of the Year Award in the bag.
                    Wouldn't he be excluded from the Award because of an underlying health condition (crypto-induced dementia)?
                    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 14 April 2020, 15:17.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

We're all rooting for ya Scooty with Centrica ... only 5% down at the moment, but loads of time for it to recover between now and September (obviously shame you bought at 36 and not the current 33.75 but, I'm sure graph will prove to be spot on)
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X