• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    Do you mean something like this;
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...rt-talbot-tata

Or, say, the average ~37% tariff on Dairy products?;
    https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/bo..._e.pdf#page=84

Or something else?

Saved me from saying it... what a nasty cartel. Once the UK leaves I'm sure wages will moon. Or is that titanic?

On a more serious note... one such company I was recently supporting (a rail client) had some steel fabrications forged in China. Project almost 2 years in (UK end client). A German technician chap asked to come down to the shop floor (this was a few years ago now). He took a small hammer to the fabrication and was able to cause it to crumble. The carbon content was insane.

Bottom line, you get what you paid for. Tariffs give a false picture of what's going on. Project was set back another year whilst replacement fabrications were made, I think Poland this time...

China will cut corners at every opportunity. As will US manufactures (so has been my experience but not as bad as China).

Enjoy the race to the bottom.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Are you comparing food produce subsidy for EU citizens consumption / security against a subsidy for private farmers export businesses?
      They are the same thing, unless you are suggesting that if a French* farmer exports a product (outside the EU), they no longer qualify for the subsidy and are made to hand it back.

*Just used as an example, but the French farmers are by far the biggest piss-takers when it comes to EU subsidies.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        *Just used as an example, but the French farmers are by far the biggest piss-takers when it comes to EU subsidies.
        True. That needs to be sorted. Noticed the same in Scotland too, especially around Aberdeenshire. A few farms in the area (rather huge in all) that are not working farms receive huge subsidies from the EU just for keeping them. It's like buying the land for peanuts with a high interest savings account. That really winds me up. If they are not working farms, remove subsidies. The land looked after itself well enough long before humans were about.

Although France is singled out, much of their land is working farms with produce distributed throughout the EU. The shelves in our local Aldi are stocked with fresh produce from France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands. Subsidies are not a straightforward beast to understand just because a line on a map says otherwise. But I understand why it's an easy target for daily fail readers.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          If you're sure, start shorting.
          I did, £XXX k short in progress.

Comment

I did, £XXX k short in progress.
            Could you define what a short means to you?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
              visible kneecaps when I take a seat

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                Something that lets the magic smoke out when you turn the power on.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Something that lets the magic smoke out when you turn the power on.
                  There'll be no new pontiff chosen today.

Comment

Countries selling US debt

Buy whose buying??? Well the Cayman islands is suddenly buying up all this debt but the true owner is keeping their identify a secret.

Very interesting video. If the rumour is right that the fed is buying we could be on the verge of the dollar collapsing.

Comment

Buy whose buying??? Well the Cayman islands is suddenly buying up all this debt but the true owner is keeping their identify a secret.

Very interesting video. If the rumour is right that the fed is buying we could be on the verge of the dollar collapsing.

I've noticed that you seem to really relish that prospect, you mention it every time there's an economics thread. Unfortunately for you, I think that's unlikely as it's one of the least bad options in an ugly parade. The dollar looks to strengthen even more if the Fed keeps up this strategy.

Comment

Working...
                      X