• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Nothing, but I tend to dip in and out in-between other things when looking for something to pass the time. It's possible to pick up a quick £50 without too much thought.
    What are you using to dip with ? Stamp duty is the killer in the real market. I've had a good run dipping except for getting caught out by one of the remdesivir leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Why not go to Las Vegus instead? If your gains are further ahead than your losses after summing up I'd be genuinely surprised.
      Las Vagas is a bit far to Alt-Tab into.

Oh, I'm coping:

A little bit down over the last week or so, but still < £4k up since CV landed. Although I will admit that most of this gain was shorting the FTSE and Carnival during the initial car crash.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        What are you using to dip with ? Stamp duty is the killer in the real market. I've had a good run dipping except for getting caught out by one of the remdesivir leaks.
        Spread-betting. No Stamp Duty and no Capital Gains Tax.
        Last edited by wattaj; 4 May 2020, 09:56. Reason: Speillng.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Commission you can avoid, stamp duty you cannot if buying actual shares.

ISA - Trading 212

You of course trade shares as CFD inside a Spread Betting account.....No tax, no stamp duty, but not physical ownership...

Comment

Spread-betting. No Stamp Duty and no Capital Gains Tax.
            Which firm ? I opened an IG account but never used it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Will this be my undoing

Comment

Which firm ? I opened an IG account but never used it.
                I have an account with IG Index. Play around with a demo account for a bit of fun. It's possible to lose a vast amount of money very quickly by not paying attention to one's exposure... the exposure is NOT the margin. Have fun.

THIS IS NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

I have an account with IG Index. Play around with a demo account for a bit of fun. It's possible to lose a vast amount of money very quickly by not paying attention to one's exposure... the exposure is NOT the margin. Have fun.

THIS IS NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE.
                  It's a damn sight easier to make a few quid dipping when the market is rising like it has the last month or so. When it's zigzagging and going down then it's time to it sit on your hands. It's back to the game of trying to pick the bottom then

Comment

It's a damn sight easier to make a few quid dipping when the market is rising like it has the last month or so. When it's zigzagging and going down then it's time to it sit on your hands. It's back to the game of trying to pick the bottom then
                    Personally, if I were to take this seriously, I'd play the spread-betting account like an ISA and place bets that are equal to the trades that I'd make in an ISA (i.e. limit my exposure to a real world trade value). A bit more analysis and selective trading would be required though.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Commission you can avoid, stamp duty you cannot if buying actual shares.

ISA - Trading 212

You of course trade shares as CFD inside a Spread Betting account.....No tax, no stamp duty, but not physical ownership...
                      Thanks for the advice..

Following the link, I'll let you know how I get on with the mother in-law's savings!
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X