• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    So emotional; redefining things to fit an emotive position

Do you have a citation? There's no concrete definition - but it's loosely accepted as a 40% gain.

I have better than a citation, I have the charts I showed you above. Care to look at them again and then come back. You'll see when both conditions came true the market moved in said direction.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Make the bet on a Ethereum contract.. my stake is no longer in my control. The oracle then decides whether the real world events took place or not and completes the contract.

Trustless contracts. Are you getting it yet?
      You agreed to quid forum when AMD share price hits 40 bucks and gone back on your word, pathetic Pooper

Comment

Source?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The last week I have had four different friends in the UK mention to me they have been buying shares. Knowing them for decades I know that they know next to nothing about what and when to buy. This never happens. I've then had friends in the US asking me about specific companies to invest in. They've poured many thousands in, in the last 3 months. It's insane timing. I suspect they're going to lose a lot, but each to their own.

I asked why they had purchased single shares, rather than tracker funds or basic Vanguard offerings and was met with a glazed unknowing look.

In the US there have been a record number of personal share accounts being opened. It all smells fishy to me and I won't be entering the market any time soon. I've even changed my pension portfolio, as risk aversion is the name of the game now.

Covid isn't going anywhere soon and most people I know have explicitly stated they won't be going back to offices any time soon, if their companies like it or not. The global market was at artificial all time highs without justification. I'm sticking it out until autumn to spring, depending on indicators, as I don't see this new money and QE nonsense helping the inevitable crash. There are lots of companies like Hertz around that have been stupidly supported by dysfunctional governments.

Comment

I have better than a citation, I have the charts I showed you above. Care to look at them again and then come back. You'll see when both conditions came true the market moved in said direction.
            Maybe post the chart to the FT and get the industry to re-define terms based on your tea leaf readings (that are invariably wrong)?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
              The last week I have had four different friends in the UK mention to me they have been buying shares. Knowing them for decades I know that they know next to nothing about what and when to buy. This never happens. I've then had friends in the US asking me about specific companies to invest in. They've poured many thousands in, in the last 3 months. It's insane timing. I suspect they're going to lose a lot, but each to their own.

I asked why they had purchased single shares, rather than tracker funds or basic Vanguard offerings and was met with a glazed unknowing look.

In the US there have been a record number of personal share accounts being opened. It all smells fishy to me and I won't be entering the market any time soon. I've even changed my pension portfolio, as risk aversion is the name of the game now.

Covid isn't going anywhere soon and most people I know have explicitly stated they won't be going back to offices any time soon, if their companies like it or not. The global market was at artificial all time highs without justification. I'm sticking it out until autumn to spring, depending on indicators, as I don't see this new money and QE nonsense helping the inevitable crash. There are lots of companies like Hertz around that have been stupidly supported by dysfunctional governments.
              It will be interesting how this post ages. It's riddled with personal anecdotes and "feelings". If you're somewhat versed in determining stocks with strong fundamentals now is exactly the time a layman can beat the Vanguard trackers, although I do tend to stick to 50% of my holdings in them.

QE / stimulus packages aren't new - weirdly the "this time it will be different" attitude has switched to the bears.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                s.
                The great thing step you've taken by not entering the stock market during a time of high volatility is by you'll still have you cash wod in 12-18 months from now.

You'd be amazed how many folks have trouble just keeping cash on the table.

Comment

You'd be amazed how many folks have trouble just keeping cash on the table.
                  Centrica.
                  Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 6 June 2020, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    Centrica.

So much win!

Last edited by scooterscot; 6 June 2020, 21:37.

Comment

Pooper - have you taken any profits yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X