• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Selling a losing position? What does that mean? Why would you? Who does? It makes no sense whatsoever.

It is only a loss when you make it a loss.
    Those that appreciate that they can and have made a mistake will understand why. Fragile ego it is.

Let's see if I can make it really simple:

You bought stock A. Its value is now 10% less than your invested (including bid/offer spread, dealing costs).
    You think stock B will go up by more than 10% (including bid/offer spread, dealing costs).
    You have finite funds available to invest.

Only someone emotionally invested in Stock A would keep Stock A rather than selling Stock A and buying Stock B.

With your (proclaimed) track record of winners, why don't you do that?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 29 June 2020, 16:00.

Comment

Selling a losing position? What does that mean? Why would you? Who does? It makes no sense whatsoever.

It is only a loss when you make it a loss. i.e. people buy in more when it's down in the belief it'll go back up.
      An asset is worth what it's worth, regardless of what you paid for it. If it's headed down from where its current value, but you won't sell because you're too affected by the emotional impact of having it to call it a loss, then you're going to lose more.

Literally the only reason not to sell in this situation is because you have created a fantasy of what is and isn't a loss to protect your fragile emotions.

Comment

Give it 30-40 years and Pooper will finally be able to make a profit on his Enron shares

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Give it 30-40 years and Pooper will finally be able to make a profit on his Enron shares
          Then he'll finally publish his book.

Comment

Comment

It is only a loss when you make it a loss. i.e. people buy in more when it's down in the belief it'll go back up.
              go on then , post a list of your stocks and their buy price.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Those that appreciate that they can and have made a mistake will understand why. Fragile ego it is.

Let's see if I can make it really simple:

You bought stock A. Its value is now 10% less than your invested (including bid/offer spread, dealing costs).
                You think stock B will go up by more than 10% (including bid/offer spread, dealing costs).
                You have finite funds available to invest.

Only someone emotionally invested in Stock A would keep Stock A rather than selling Stock A and buying Stock B.

With your (proclaimed) track record of winners, why don't you do that?

Because that's trading with emotion. "I think... ?? " are not words that are ever used in my trading strategy
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Because that's trading with emotion. "I think... ?? " are not words that are ever used in my trading strategy
                  Ok, so you think you "know" what way stocks will go?

Keeping funds invested in a position when you have other investment options you know/believe will give better returns (as you do), but not selling them because they are in a losing position, is 100% emotional investing.

The non-emotional investor will invest their funds in what they believe will give the best returns, not keep positions open because they can't admit to themselves that they are not infallible.
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 29 June 2020, 16:28.

Comment

It’s 1000% bulltulip

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      It’s 1000% leveraged bulltulip
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X