• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

SMT.L has performed just as well, NASDAQ and S&P too, meaning: everyone's winning. Hell, my oil trades are +80% in a shorter time frame.

How are those imaginary crypto and FTSE shorts doing?
    SMT.L as I said is my core holding.

A lot of people are piling in because of this stellar performance. Others are top slicing, selling, getting worried about Tesla.. US Regulations on Tech companies.. all the Fed money ...etc

They might be right.

On the other side, do these people know that SMT shareholders voted to increase the exposure to unlisted companies last year.

They will know AirBnB, but do they know Ant Financials?

SMT has a stake in Ant, and also exposure to it through Alibaba which is the Chinese Amazon.

What do people think will happen to a Trusts NAV when Ant becomes the highest value IPO in history at $200 Billion?

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
      On the other side, do these people know that SMT shareholders voted to increase the exposure to unlisted companies last year
      SMT.L has served me well too; what you mention is my primary reason.

Investing in these unlisted companies have a min $200K buy in on the platforms I'm on; why bother if SMT.L's unit price buy in is cheaper and spreads the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
        A lot of people are piling in because of this stellar performance. Others are top slicing, selling, getting worried about Tesla.. US Regulations on Tech companies.. all the Fed money ...etc
        I bought and sold it 2-3 times because of the same reason. who knows where is the top for tech stocks but its very near.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          .... and spreads the risk.
          What its all about.

I don’t want to see 10% swings a day on anything I own.

I want to see 0.50% swings.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            I bought and sold it 2-3 times because of the same reason. who knows where is the top for tech stocks but its very near.
            Not sure.

Reason I’m saying that is because COVID was/is a game changer.

Just talking equities.. not gold, bonds etc..

Previously, defensive stocks such as pharma, tobacco, telecomms, oil, and banks were seen as the go to position in times of trouble.

Now covid came, and suddenly it accelerated Amazon, Apple, Alphabet(Google) etc.. and now these are the defensive stocks, and Bytedance(TikTok), Zoom and so on, are the growth stocks.

During the dot.com bubble, there was crazy valuations on companies with little more than a website to their name, but, and this is the but..the big tech companies are so big now, that they can and are buying up all the IP and talent from the smaller companies.

Regulations.. maybe.. get broken up.. perhaps, but the sum of the parts may be greater than the whole for some of these.

China is a massive issue for US Tech, so can’t see the US government stepping in too much.

Of course they might retract.. just not seeing a bubble.

Comment

If you've been waiting on the sidelines to load up on Tesla ATW, now's your chance - fill yer boots
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                If you've been waiting on the sidelines to load up on Tesla ATW, now's your chance - fill yer boots
                There is a share split (5:1) coming at the end of the month...

Do your own research and decide whether to buy before or after it.
                Originally posted by Old Greg
                I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Buy shares in a company that has never made a profit?

This is new world, losses are profits, down is up..
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Buy shares in a company that has never made a profit?

This is new world, losses are profits, down is up..
                    You're driving by looking in the rear view mirror.

Comment

I’m bullish on Tesla, but I’m older and more experienced now.

Seriously, play the % game. Capital conservation is the key + compound interest via ISA wrapper.

The greatest stock picker in history only averages 17% a year.

Want smaller exposure to tesla than SMT.L then try EWI.L.

SSON.L another interesting tech play.

Keep going all in on red.. eventually black comes up. Don’t do it.

DYOR

Comment

Working...
                      X