stock market crash stock market crash - Page 352
Page 352 of 471 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402452 ... LastLast
Posts 3,511 to 3,520 of 4707
  1. #3511

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    No. Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top. Very hard to do. Waiting for a trend reversal, i.e. lower high is replaced with a higher low, effectively guarantees you'll miss the bottom (or top). The important difference however is that my risk of loss is now greatly reduced because I waited for confirmation thereby increasing my probability of a successful trade.

    Have used the above method when entering or exiting a trade with repeated success on spot markets. It requires a lot of emotional control, however. It is not easy.
    Yeah, what idiot gets emotional when trading.

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    And I'm closing that CNA trade again - no loss - but dum decision to open, completely emotional.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #3512

    Godlike

    Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    No. Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top. Very hard to do. Waiting for a trend reversal, i.e. lower high is replaced with a higher low, effectively guarantees you'll miss the bottom (or top). The important difference however is that my risk of loss is now greatly reduced because I waited for confirmation thereby increasing my probability of a successful trade.

    Have used the above method when entering or exiting a trade with repeated success on spot markets. It requires a lot of emotional control, however. It is not easy.
    There are more fundamental reasons why a share price will rise, find the reason and then more than likely you've found your stock. A clue, it's not on a chart, charts are past tense.

    YMMV. TPDNCFA. DYOR. IANQTGFA.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

  3. #3513

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top.
    False.

    Market timing is the strategy of making buying or selling decisions of financial assets by attempting to predict future market price movements. The prediction may be based on an outlook of market or economic conditions resulting from technical or fundamental analysis.
    Remind you of anyone?

  4. #3514

    Fingers like lightning

    BABABlackSheep has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    No. Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top. Very hard to do. Waiting for a trend reversal, i.e. lower high is replaced with a higher low, effectively guarantees you'll miss the bottom (or top). The important difference however is that my risk of loss is now greatly reduced because I waited for confirmation thereby increasing my probability of a successful trade.

    Have used the above method when entering or exiting a trade with repeated success on spot markets. It requires a lot of emotional control, however. It is not easy.
    All well and good, but trend reversal is still timing the market. Not sure why you’re defending yourself. Its not a stigma.

  5. #3515

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    Its not a stigma.
    He created the stigma to fuel his egobabble.

  6. #3516

    Godlike

    Whorty - scorchio!

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    5,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    All well and good, but trend reversal is still timing the market. Not sure why you’re defending yourself. Its not a stigma.
    Because he's special .... and you're all just dirty day traders ..... don't ya know
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

  7. #3517

    Godlike

    Whorty - scorchio!

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    5,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    My 50% gain on Centrica this year, Tarot power!
    Again, you're crowing about this little monetary gain (less than I have made in the same time on FTSE funds) and yet you're not crowing about the (fictitious) 3000% / $420k gain or the loss on your FTSE Put.

    Inneresting
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

  8. #3518

    I live on CUK

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    22,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    There are more fundamental reasons why a share price will rise, find the reason and then more than likely you've found your stock. A clue, it's not on a chart, charts are past tense.

    YMMV. TPDNCFA. DYOR. IANQTGFA.
    Fundamentals will always play a roll. Best suited for long term investors. If you're a swing trader like myself, i.e. making a few trades per years, fundamentals are more of a 1 of 10 steps. I'd always compliment with a chart analysis.

    I vehemently disagree charts are past tense. Ignoring history is crazy. Even the world at large is ignoring history whilst we waste time trying out protectionism again. Everyone is a loser playing a game without end.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

  9. #3519

    I live on CUK

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    22,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    All well and good, but trend reversal is still timing the market. Not sure why you’re defending yourself. Its not a stigma.
    No it isn't.

    Timing is a well time.

    Trend is a condition.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

  10. #3520

    I live on CUK

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    22,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    Again, you're crowing about this little monetary gain (less than I have made in the same time on FTSE funds) and yet you're not crowing about the (fictitious) 3000% / $420k gain or the loss on your FTSE Put.

    Inneresting

    Crypto I keep for the crypto thread, stocks for this one. I try to keep to stocks only on here as some don't want to read about crypto here. Can't please everyone but will always offend someone. You know something? I don't care.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •