• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EUA Up 10% on the day - #JustSaying

DYOR
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Yep. I'm one of those special day traders that hold on to tracker funds for 15 years
      And you trade it every day - Crazy -
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I've no idea. Don't do candle stick trading. Very much in the realms of day traders that is. Whorty tell us...
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          And you trade it every day - Crazy -
          Do I? OK

No, what I did was I converted my cash ISA to S&S in early April and bought in to various trackers when FTSE was 5400. I added the full ISA allowance for last tax year and again this tax year.

A few weeks ago when the market was yo-yoing I sold some when it was 61xx and bought back in when it was below 58xx. This nicely consolidated some profit and grabbed me a few more %. I'll be leaving it now unless the yo-yo starts again

The ISA will be untouched, i.e. I don't need any of the funds in there, for at least 15 years You see, I'm 'lucky' that I don't need to earn an income from my investments, the growth is just gravy for me
          Last edited by Whorty; 9 October 2020, 15:29.

Comment

Do I? OK

No, what I did was I converted my cash ISA to S&S in early April and bought in to various trackers when FTSE was 5400. I added the full ISA allowance for last tax year and again this tax year.

A few weeks ago when the market was yo-yoing I sold some when it was 61xx and bought back in when it was below 58xx. This nicely consolidated some profit and grabbed me a few more %. I'll be leaving it now unless the yo-yo starts again

The ISA will be untouched, i.e. I don't need any of the funds in there, for at least 15 years You see, I'm 'lucky' that I don't need to earn an income from my investments, the growth is just gravy for me
            You using ETF’s? I get some of the passive investing if they can get to niche areas, but its also dangerous to just track markets.

There’s a lot of research about passive funds outperforminmg managed funds over the years, but a lot of that was because they are much cheaper. There are other investment vechicles that have outformed both.

I would gradually move your portfolio to ETF’s and Global IT’s if I was you. Anyway..DYOR, best of luck and so on. Perhaps you can retire in 10 instead of 15 then.

Take it from me, when you get older, you start to looking forward to retirement.
            Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 9 October 2020, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
              You using ETF’s?
              No, just Vanguard funds. There was a trend a month or so ago where the market was dropping about 2% on Thursday/Friday then recovering on Monday/Tuesday so I was selling a bit on Friday morning and buying back in Tuesday morning.

Over those few weeks with the yo-yoing it allowed me to consolidate a few % profit. I have used all the cash in the ISA until I can add more next April so it will just sit there and do it's stuff now (unless the yo-yoing starts again )

I guess this makes me a day trader Or, it makes someone jealous that someone apart from then is making money

Comment

No, just Vanguard funds. There was a trend a month or so ago where the market was dropping about 2% on Thursday/Friday then recovering on Monday/Tuesday so I was selling a bit on Friday morning and buying back in Tuesday morning.

Over those few weeks with the yo-yoing it allowed me to consolidate a few % profit. I have used all the cash in the ISA until I can add more next April so it will just sit there and do it's stuff now (unless the yo-yoing starts again )

I guess this makes me a day trader Or, it makes someone jealous that someone apart from then is making money
                That's the way, sell low, buy high!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
                  You using ETF’s? I get some of the passive investing if they can get to niche areas, but its also dangerous to just track markets.

There’s a lot of research about passive funds outperforminmg managed funds over the years, but a lot of that was because they are much cheaper. There are other investment vechicles that have outformed both.

I would gradually move your portfolio to ETF’s and Global IT’s if I was you. Anyway..DYOR, best of luck and so on. Perhaps you can retire in 10 instead of 15 then.

Take it from me, when you get older, you start to looking forward to retirement.
                  I have about 50% of the ISA (c.£100k) in their active funds, with the rest in trackers. At 50 years old I'm not looking to need this for years; I could retire today (assuming same spend per year) and still not have to touch this for 15+ years but I'm not really one for not working. I'm happy doing the 2 days a week currently, but may switch to more days over less months in future. I always assumed I'd quit working fully at 55, and Mrs W and I would take our VW camper on a road trip, but her health has unfortunately put paid to that so I'll continue working for as long as I'm looking after her.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    That's the way, sell low, buy high!
                    Oops, got that back to front .... oh well, you know what I mean Was distracted by the boss whilst typing

Comment

Should have bought Rolls Royce shares.

Rolls-Royce Share Price Is Up Over 100% This Week. Here’s Why - AskTraders.com

Up over 100% this week.

Everyone's on a bargain hunt buying UK shares at their lowest ever valuations. Cheap as chips as they say.
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X