• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone got any decent stock tips at the moment?

Anyone got an opinion on Debenhams? Massive volatility at the minute - but with risk comes reward!

Comment

Originally posted by ATFC View Post
      RBS - not financial advice, but loading up on it myself.

I know RBS might sound crazy, however it has formed a technical double bottom with two 'Golden crosses', i.e. the 50 day moving average crosses the 200 day. Also it is currently 96% from its all time high. Watch out for support on the 20 week moving average.

Last edited by scooterscot; 28 March 2019, 12:30.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ATFC View Post

Anyone got an opinion on Debenhams? Massive volatility at the minute - but with risk comes reward!
        Steer clear of Debenhams

When a stock goes down for good reason you steer clear. Maybe if you owned it then you might keep it just in case, but never never buy a distressed stock.

Always buy healthy growing companies, otherwise you will end up with a portfolio full of tripe. Badly run companies, stay badly run companies. Well run companies stay well run companies, well generally !
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          2 year bonds are now paying out more than 10 year bonds

This consequence is referred to as the yield curve inversion, which has been a continuous successful indicator of a coming recession. In previous recessions central banks lowered interest rates to compensate. But what if rates are already at zero?! Buckle the feck up people - you've been warned!
          Late last year the Fed signaled further rate increases this year. So far they haven't done any, and it's looking increasingly likely that they won't. Their next move could even be to cut them.

Comment

Negative rates may be on the way... but what does that mean?

A negative interest rate means that the central bank (and perhaps private banks) will charge negative interest. Instead of receiving money on deposits, depositors must pay regularly to keep their money with the bank. ... During deflationary periods, people and businesses hoard money instead of spending and investing.
            Gold with likely shoot up in value if that happens.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

RBS - not financial advice, but loading up on it myself.

I know RBS might sound crazy, however it has formed a technical double bottom with two 'Golden crosses', i.e. the 50 day moving average crosses the 200 day. Also it is currently 96% from its all time high. Watch out for support on the 20 week moving average.
              Lets forget anything to do with it being a business and how it's performing, the market or anything like that huh
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're a trader, yes absolutely. If you're using the News to make trading decisions you're gonna lose money. Period.

Comment

If you're a trader, yes absolutely. If you're using the News to make trading decisions you're gonna lose money. Period.
                  No, you are the one with the trader attitude. You're using tasseography to indicate success, you need to read more Buffett or books he recommends, like The Intelligent Investor.

Comment

Unicorn companies article made it to the beeb.

Lyft, Uber, Pinterest: Are internet unicorns really worth billions?

Some startling statements:

But unlike M&S, which has been around for well over a century, Lyft is only seven years old - and it is yet to make a profit.

"I did a lot of research on private venture capital backed companies," said Ilya Strebulaev, professor of finance at Stanford University.

"We find that on average the unicorns are overvalued by about 50%."
                    Consider for a moment that in recent years the stock market has been pumped by those unicorns.

"Look at the losses - someone has got to pay for these losses."

Prof Strebulaev said: "What I believe, and this is not really about Uber and Lyft, but an average unicorn, is that there are 100-plus of them and it is difficult to imagine based on historical evidence and my research that all of them are going to be successful."
                    Angle investors will be laughing all the way to the bank as retail investor pick up the tab. Going to be the mother of all crashes.

After the crash the recession will follow. But when? If pushed, I'd say we're 12 to 18 months away.

Comment

Unicorn companies article made it to the beeb.

Lyft, Uber, Pinterest: Are internet unicorns really worth billions?

Some startling statements:

Consider for a moment that in recent years the stock market has been pumped by those unicorns.

Angle investors will be laughing all the way to the bank as retail investor pick up the tab. Going to be the mother of all crashes.

After the crash the recession will follow. But when? If pushed, I'd say we're 12 to 18 months away.
                      You said that 2 years ago.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X