• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So - honest question for somebody who isn't that clued up on things. Should I continue to drip-feed my ISA, pension and daughter's JISAs? I've been putting in £1k/month into pension and £100/month into the JISA and ISA. The ISA portfolio is crap anyway and I'll change it if it ever recovers and the JISAs and SIPP are all Vanguard LS80. I realise if I keep drip-feeding I'll be reducing my average price, I only started them 14 months ago. But I could just be losing more money. They are both long-term investments - between 10-15 years for the JISAs at least and at least 20 years for my SIPP.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Quick recovery will only happen IF effective large scale anti-virals helped beat virus
      quick tests for everyone(mandatory) and isolation for positive result is what is needed its the quickest cheapest way out of this back to normality, cruising, flights etc could recommence, just turnup early for the test, this where the effort should be focused

Comment

What's wrong with holding cash? That's what I'm doing with a portion of my portfolio. Until there's a clear indication of recovery / confidence returning to the economy my cash stays in reach. So what if my cash is not earning interest, it's a lot better than losing another 30+ on the stock market.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          What's wrong with holding cash? That's what I'm doing with a portion of my portfolio. Until there's a clear indication of recovery / confidence returning to the economy my cash stays in reach. So what if my cash is not earning interest, it's a lot better than losing another 30+ on the stock market.
          Valid approach vs stocks, though main issue with cash is devalue with the global QE at massive scale happening right now

I like Oil currently, unsustainable cheap price $22, has a price floor due to production costs and in 6-12 months could easily double. China already flattened the curve and will start using more Oil soon. Germany today first signs of flattening. Off topic: UK exception, rather doomed as not enough social distancing, look at twitter images from tube this morning, pathetic (not sure if I am allowed to post links here)

Thanks for the insightful posts, great thread

Comment

I think oil will go <$10 a barrel - so be careful. Cost of production is the same argument I'm hearing for sliver mining, which is currently priced less than it costs to pull it out of the ground. The economy is the driver of wealth, the wealth creator. Take Silver for example, it doesn't get it price from folks holding it in fear of financial Armageddon, the price actions comes from industry. The largest industry users by far is the electronics industry, in particular the mobile phone industry. Do we think US citizens are going to use their cash handouts to buy the latest iPhone?

Same argument with oil, the appetite has absolutely vanished. However it might also be an excellent time to get in. Who'd have thought we'd be paying the same price for oil today as we were in 1987! I guess that means you guys are paying 37p per litre at the pumps?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              So - honest question for somebody who isn't that clued up on things. Should I continue to drip-feed my ISA, pension and daughter's JISAs? I've been putting in £1k/month into pension and £100/month into the JISA and ISA. The ISA portfolio is crap anyway and I'll change it if it ever recovers and the JISAs and SIPP are all Vanguard LS80. I realise if I keep drip-feeding I'll be reducing my average price, I only started them 14 months ago. But I could just be losing more money. They are both long-term investments - between 10-15 years for the JISAs at least and at least 20 years for my SIPP.
              Yeah, I would say so. It's impossible to call the bottom and no one knows what it's going to look like (V-, U-, L-shape, whatever). But if you have a 10-20 year horizon, then that is clearly much longer than any L-shape scenario likely to occur. So, drip-feed, yes, but also expect to lose more between now and any recovery, perhaps much more (on the basis that you cannot predict when and how fast the recovery will occur and it will rise far above current levels when it does eventually occur). Anyone predicting a bottom in a week or in a year doesn't really have a clue.

Comment

Fed announces unlimited QE and sets up several new lending programs - MarketWatch

It's done, over.
                Last edited by ChimpMaster; 23 March 2020, 12:23.

Comment

That's why I'm betting on PMs. And presumably the same reason scoots is bullish on crypto.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Probably OTT but sobering nonetheless.

Who's Going to Bail Out the U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve?

"But now Goldman Sachs projects GDP will contract by 24% in the second quarter. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President James Bullard said make that 50% on Sunday, and expect to see unemployment skyrocket to as high as 30%."
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Go'an yerself - buy that dip, I double dare you.

Comment

Working...
                      X