• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Alternatively, they may continue what they are doing and let central banks around the world control the devaluation of the respective currencies in an orderly fashion, where inflation erodes the debt over time.
    Yup - that was the plan in 08. Give the banks a bunch of money and let them loan it out, thereby introducing liquidity into the system except it din't work out that way, did it? Instead they tightened credit whilst paying themselves massive bonuses.

The only reason $1 = $1 is because people say it is worth $1. That's about to change in a big way. Same with the pound. You can expect trust in private institutions liked the FED / BoE to be maintained whilst they themselves print away your wealth. History has many examples only leading to depressions and currency defaults.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My contract is Edinburgh has just finished and I am off Southwards again. The housing market seems insane in Edinburgh. Stock is selling far too well and I do not know why. My guess is people are hedging their bets on an independent Scotland having a relationship with the EU, playing the long game.

I agree with Scooter. A major issue is due again and it will primarily affect those with serious debts. If housing corrects majorly a number of repossessions may occur, but I am in two minds about the value of this to society, as again the banks will benefit - they will own the house, sell it at a loss and receive some form of bailout directly or indirectly. The banks will not suffer but will instead make others suffer, such as shareholders, those with savings within the bank, among others.

Comment

We'll see. It's a gamble placing your bets on anything with the current state of things. So many asset bubbles yet no guarantee they will pop, yet.

"The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

We're playing by their rules, it's all that we know. [To paraphrase the legend that is Joy Division]

My philosophy is investment is like life, it's not about the destination but how you get there.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by scandiroo View Post
          My contract is Edinburgh has just finished and I am off Southwards again. The housing market seems insane in Edinburgh. Stock is selling far too well and I do not know why..
          Be fearful when others are greedy. Warren Buffet.

Außerdem, try selling into a market when there's no buyers. Most people react and think of selling when prices look bearish only to realise demand has dried up. It is at this point prices collapse.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

REPENT
            DIRTY
            SPEKULANTS!!!

Comment

sell sell sell

Comment

sell sell sell - save yourselves

Comment

Big Short investor bets against UK banks

Same chap that went short on the US mortgage bonds is now going short on UK banks. Be afraid be very afraid.

An investor who predicted the 2008 financial crisis has revealed he is betting against the UK banking system.

Steve Eisman, known for appearing in The Big Short, said he had bets against three UK banks, though he declined to name them.

The US investor shot to fame when he featured in the book by Michael Lewis, and was later played by Steve Carell in the Hollywood adaptation.

Mr Eisman said he expected UK markets to fall as a result of Brexit.

Explaining his current investment position, he said that he bet against two UK banks "about a month and a half ago" due to the possibility of Britain leaving the EU and of Jeremy Corbyn becoming prime minister.

"I think in either eventuality the British market will go down," he said.

He added that he decided to bet against a third bank because it "seems more likely that Theresa May's proposals will fail".

Known as shorting, the bets against the banks will pay out if the banks' shares fall.

Asked which banks he thought were vulnerable, he said "it doesn't matter which UK banks I'm short. I could have picked three others", adding that he saw it as an "industry" issue.

Comment

-15%, Just warming up - 3500 this time next year - sell sell sell!

Comment

It's all over baby.

The Fed gets to save the dollar or the stock market - not both. It's going to be interesting to watch them flay about looking for a way out and failing.

Comment

Working...
                      X