• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, does anybody remember that time Scooter couldn't even get basic facts right in a thread about his own supposed expertise? Can you imagine somebody like that trying to make predictions like this.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Hey guys, does anybody remember that time Scooter couldn't even get basic facts right in a thread about his own supposed expertise? Can you imagine somebody like that trying to make predictions like this.
      My pension is still going strong, but then again I am invested in guns, fags and booze so I'm set for the global apocalypse
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        My pension is still going strong, but then again I am invested in guns, fags and booze so I'm set for the global apocalypse
        as is mine. it's doing strangely well...up 7% in 3 months. got to wonder why. if it was BTC people would be screaming 'BUBBLE'. i'll be keeping an eye on it over the next 6-12 months
        Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Everything is but, paraphrasing that old market adage, it can stay longer than you can stay solvent.

It should be quite interesting to see how this all plays out in the next year or so.
          Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 21 January 2020, 13:38.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
            as is mine. it's doing strangely well...up 7% in 3 months. got to wonder why. if it was BTC people would be screaming 'BUBBLE'. i'll be keeping an eye on it over the next 6-12 months
            Only 7%? My Standard Life fund has gone up 12% in the last 3 months.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Only 7%? My Standard Life fund has gone up 12% in the last 3 months.
              Standard Life
              they've managed my portfolio very well for some years. What I don't understand is why their share price keeps falling when the FTSE is rising. Some years ago it was over 400, and dropped to 280 or thereabouts until the GE, when it rose to 335. It's now falling again and was 312 the last time I looked.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
                I'm not a savvy investor, not like a friend of mine who bought a wad of Next shares when they were floated. However, on a serious note, I would always contend, given what happened in the great depression and in more recent times, that it's wise to have a varied portfolio including items which have an intrinsic value irrespective of the FTSE valuation.

There was a time when individuals couldn't buy a gold bar, but now it seems you can and various sizes are available. The typical bar, as seen in Goldfinger, would probably be outside the means of most of us, but much smaller ingots are available these days.

There is always land and property of course, which granted do have some baggage, but then there is a number of other "collectables". Note that Edward VIII coin that sold for £1 million recently!

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  they've managed my portfolio very well for some years. What I don't understand is why their share price keeps falling when the FTSE is rising. Some years ago it was over 400, and dropped to 280 or thereabouts until the GE, when it rose to 335. It's now falling again and was 312 the last time I looked.
                  They are not charging you enough for their good work, that’s why...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    They are not charging you enough for their good work, that’s why...
                    it's 2% which I believe is about the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      However, on a serious note, I would always contend, given what happened in the great depression and in more recent times, that it's wise to have a varied portfolio including items which have an intrinsic value irrespective of the FTSE valuation.
                      Absolutely. A diversified portfolio is important. Different markets.

I keep a little gold, but not for investment... only as insurance. Investing in gold is weapons grade stupid. At the end of the day it doesn't do anything but sit in a vault. Wealth generators are economies that grow.

Notwithstanding Crypto, I'm increasing my exposure to commodities & farmland. So many people of the world have come out of poverty since the 80's it has almost gone unobserved. In particular I'm recalling my visits to Kenya & Tanzania 10 years apart (not forgetting China of course). Nairobi is the most surprising of the cities I've visited recently, much of which is built on Chinese debt. Like the transformation of Dubai. Many many people have moved up a class. I'm expecting upward price pressure on commodities as a result.

Imagine what the upward price pressure will do to supermarket prices on Islands dependant on African commodities that have cut off ties with their largest trading parter?
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X